Guitar Guitar - Trade it/Sell it

What's Hot

Comments

• Paying half value leaves them with a (pretty average) 30% margin after paying VAT. Nobody is being ripped off there, or even doing amazing out of it either.
    i really wish this subject would stop coming up and people would stop branding shops as chancers or rip off merchants in these scenarios.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Paying half value leaves them with a (pretty average) 30% margin after paying VAT. Nobody is being ripped off there, or even doing amazing out of it either.
    i really wish this subject would stop coming up and people would stop branding shops as chancers or rip off merchants in these scenarios.
    Do you work for GG?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I was offered £800 for my Gibson ES137
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rico said:
    Paying half value leaves them with a (pretty average) 30% margin after paying VAT. Nobody is being ripped off there, or even doing amazing out of it either.
    Do you work for GG?

No, I don’t 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I was offered an old bloody bandage for my strat, and an ear wax encrusted cotton bud for my les paul. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    I was offered an old bloody bandage for my strat, and an ear wax encrusted cotton bud for my les paul. 
    Sounds like the classifieds here
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    I'm sure @guitars4you is enjoying being a fly on the wall whilst you privates are having a good old moan. Sheesh, shops trying to make profit from you, whatever next eh? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    Of course you get the odd piss-take offer but any business needs to make a worthwhile profit and that means having a decent margin between cost price and sale price - an odd £150 here and there doesn't pay rent, rates,insurance etc etc
     All business has to work like this ;
      It's just that you don't see that the Levis you just bought in the local shopping mall cost the retailer less than a quarter of what you paid and the wholesaler paid half that .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    haven't guitar shops been doing exactly this since they started?!!!
    Overheads, VAT, Margin, Guarantee, all need to be taken into account
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    I got offered £800 for my Les Paul Standard as a straight cash offer, would be more for trade in.

I can see why people would take that rather than have the hassle of dealing with a load of tyre kickers just to make a couple of hundred quid more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    humbucko said:
    GuitarGuitar offered me £650 to £700 for my 2017 Fender AVRI 52 Telecaster (with one ding), bought new for £1500 or so a few months before.

Really can't see why anyone would take that up but people clearly do as they have plenty of used stuff for sale.
    I don't see what's wrong with that as valuation.

It needs to show a saving against a new one so let' imagine it goes up for £1100

Joe punter walks in, says it's got a offers £1000 and they settle on £1050.

GG make £350 of which £70 goes to the treasury so they make £280.

Not exactly a huge amount of profit considering it might pay 4 members of staff pay for the day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    DanR said:
    humbucko said:
    GuitarGuitar offered me £650 to £700 for my 2017 Fender AVRI 52 Telecaster (with one ding), bought new for £1500 or so a few months before.

Really can't see why anyone would take that up but people clearly do as they have plenty of used stuff for sale.
    I don't see what's wrong with that as valuation.

It needs to show a saving against a new one so let' imagine it goes up for £1100

Joe punter walks in, says it's got a offers £1000 and they settle on £1050.

GG make £350 of which £70 goes to the treasury so they make £280.

Not exactly a huge amount of profit considering it might pay 4 members of staff pay for the day.
    This is one of those stories that has me in tears. Where can I donate to GG to help them out? 

;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If shops don't make money they close.

The more that close the less choice we have and the less competition they have.

That ultimately isn't good for us as consumers.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    DanR said:

Bollocks. Google any popular guitar and you'll see the same price everywhere in the UK. That aint competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Chalky said:
    DanR said:

Bollocks. Google any popular guitar and you'll see the same price everywhere in the UK. That aint competition.
    That’s because manufacturers enforce MAP, rightly or wrongly. Take it up with them...
    Whitecat said:
    Chalky said:
    DanR said:

That’s because manufacturers enforce MAP, rightly or wrongly. Take it up with them...
    Of course, but you can't claim there is competition when the evidence of price, which is the primary competition indicator in any economic assessment, proves that competition is non-existent.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    Chalky said:
    DanR said:

That's what competition looks like now, when anyone can instantly find out what the same thing costs at any number of different shops.
    Chalky said:
    DanR said:

Except every email to GAK/GG has involved a offer back to me with a good price.

Would that happen if only one of them could supply the guitar.
    DanR said:
    Chalky said:
    DanR said:

Except every email to GAK/GG has involved a offer back to me with a good price.

Would that happen if only one of them could supply the guitar.
    Then I raise my cap to you Sir. I've only ever haggled face-to-face, never tried the email route but I shall in future! :)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Exactly... the competition happens when you actually get in touch. See if you can get money off/stuff thrown in/a better trade in offer, etc. Website minimum pricing exists to protect the “little guys” against the buying power of larger entities who would otherwise drive them out of town or swallow them up.