New DAW Software Help.

What's Hot

I’ve used Cakewalks Sonar exclusively for years. I started with Cakewalk back at number 6 and now on platinum.  I am a semi -pro user and have done lots of major projects and after using it for all those years, I can navigate my way around it all with my eyes shut.

But now that Gibson have dumped it, looks like I will eventually be forced to jump on and learn another DAW.

So Help !....which DAW do you guys recommend and why ????

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Try Presonus Studio One and Reaper. One of those two should do you. I prefer Reaper. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What platform are you on and what are your primary needs and priorities?

I use Studio One but mostly because of it being better for audio editing than Logic, which I used to use exclusively for around 10 years.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited February 2018
    Reaper. (free if you can live with a nag screen) then decide.
    I havent had a chance to get to use it properly but i bought a license anyway. I thought the license was for life but im not so sure . Mine may run out before ive managed to record anything lol. 
  • JAYJO said:
    I havent had a chance to get to use it properly but i bought a license anyway. I thought the license was for life but im not so sure . Mine may run out before ive managed to record anything lol. 

If you buy a licence now it gives free upgrades to version version 6.99. It's currently at version 5.70.

I've used Reaper for over 10 years and it does all (and more) than I'd ever want. I can't compare it to other DAWs because I haven't used any others.

It's not a competition.
  • JAYJO said:
    I'm pretty sure that a Reaper licence is for the current version and covers updates including the next rebuild - I think at present it's v5.20 and a current licence covers every version until v7. After that you could buy a new licence if you wanted or just keep using the older software. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    JAYJO said:
    I'm pretty sure that a Reaper licence is for the current version and covers updates including the next rebuild - I think at present it's v5.20 and a current licence covers every version until v7. After that you could buy a new licence if you wanted or just keep using the older software. 
     well that sounds fair enough to me many thanks.
  • I use GarageBand on the iPad, and I love it. It has a few limitations, but nothing that has held me back at all. Upgrade path to Logic if I need it. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Steinberg had a deal for Cakewalk users - 50% discount off Cubase - not sure if its still on. You can download and try Cubase for free to see if you like it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I am a Cakewalk Sonar user as well, I am going to continue with it anyway. It is what I have used since I started on Sonar 8.5 LE and until it stops working, I won't be looking for another DAW. However, when that day does come, it will be between Reaper and Studio One I think.  
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    What platform are you on and what are your primary needs and priorities?

I use Studio One but mostly because of it being better for audio editing than Logic, which I used to use exclusively for around 10 years.
    Studio One here too....and it integrates with Melodyne !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    What platform are you on and what are your primary needs and priorities?

Studio One here too....and it integrates with Melodyne !
    And Vocalign. And as soon as Autotune Pro is released that will have ARA too. 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    I dumped Sonar about a month ago and started with Reaper.  It takes a little bit of getting used to but so far seems absolutely rock solid in terms of stability and performance with none of the bugs and glitches that seem to come as standard with Sonar.  The community support appears to be excellent too.  Very impressed so far. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    JAYJO said:
    It's v5.70 currently ;)
  • siremoon said:
    JAYJO said:
    It's v5.70 currently ;)
    Cheers. That's what I get for not using Google before posting. Did I get the other details right? :-)
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Started briefly with Presonus Studio One as it came bundled with my Audio Interface...when I realised that to use non-Presonus plugins I would have to upgrade (around £200 at the time) I dropped it and then went for Reaper which I am getting to grips with now.

Reaper guide below if you do go for it (around 450 pages). I would suggest you give it a go, it’s free & I’m not the best at working computers but have managed to get it running with some Waves trial plugins & EZ Drummer 2 software with no hassles.  Oh and I’ve never had it Reaper crash/bug out on me...although I have only been doing beginner/simple things while learning it.

The Reaper Forum is active & a really good resource.  

https://dlz.reaper.fm/userguide/ReaperUserGuide570d.pdf

• LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    I found the opposite , I installed the reaper demo when I decided to bin sonar and it crashed upon loading. I shifted to studio one and all good again.
  • duotone said:
    Started briefly with Presonus Studio One as it came bundled with my Audio Interface...when I realised that to use non-Presonus plugins I would have to upgrade (around £200 at the time) I dropped it and then went for Reaper which I am getting to grips with now.

Reaper guide below if you do go for it (around 450 pages). I would suggest you give it a go, it’s free & I’m not the best at working computers but have managed to get it running with some Waves trial plugins & EZ Drummer 2 software with no hassles.  Oh and I’ve never had it Reaper crash/bug out on me...although I have only been doing beginner/simple things while learning it.

The Reaper Forum is active & a really good resource.  

https://dlz.reaper.fm/userguide/ReaperUserGuide570d.pdf

There are also the excellent Kenny Gioia videos (link below)

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

It's not a competition.
  • BodBod Frets: 1299

There are also the excellent Kenny Gioia videos (link below)

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

This.  An amazing resource...
  • siremoon said:
    JAYJO said:
    It's v5.70 currently ;)

v5.75 now ;)

It's not a competition.
    siremoon said:
    JAYJO said:
    It's v5.70 currently ;)

v5.75 now ;)

Indeed