Will a multiscale guitar sound tighter? What are my options?

What's Hot
From the explanation videos I'm watching, it stands to reason that the longer scale length on the thicker strings should help the guitar sound tighter for palm muting and chunky chord work...is this true? 

Anyone out there play multiscale fanned fret guitars? What are your thoughts?

Who are the big names in multiscale guitars? Mayones/Ormsby etc?
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    The same string at the same tuning will be physically tighter on a longer scale length.  It certainly helps prevent the flabbiness you can get when downtuning.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8693

Who are the big names in multiscale guitars? Mayones/Ormsby etc?
    WezV
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha!
    WezV said:
    The same string at the same tuning will be physically tighter on a longer scale length.  It certainly helps prevent the flabbiness you can get when downtuning.
    Thank you! What guitars you got WezV?

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Be prepared to buy an Axe Fx if you have a Fan Fret Multiscale Guitar otherwise they are a bugger to amplify, I’ve been there with my Strandberg 
  • In what way, @sweepy? Funny you should say that, I'm a Fractal user anyway and am saving for the Axe FX III.

The multiscale guitars need a cleaner bottom end that can often elude a normal guitar amp, the Axe Fx and even the Helix give you more control over the dynamic range and eq necessary to stop it farting like a Saturday morning curry 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The buyer of my Axe Fx is a Strandberg 8 string user and he found similar issues when amping before he bought mine 
  • I see, makes sense. You getting the new Axe FX @sweepy?

I see, makes sense. You getting the new Axe FX @sweepy?
    I have gone back to valves, picked up a Bad Cat 30r and a pedalboard, I enjoyed my regular dabble with Modelling through the Axe Fx and 2 Helixes but it’s the sound of a warm Valve for me these days 
  • sweepy said:
    I see, makes sense. You getting the new Axe FX @sweepy?
    I have gone back to valves, picked up a Bad Cat 30r and a pedalboard, I enjoyed my regular dabble with Modelling through the Axe Fx and 2 Helixes but it’s the sound of a warm Valve for me these days 
    Furry muff, mate, can't argue with that!!

Haha!
    WezV said:
    Just ones I have made, hence Roland’s comment above.

somebody lolled it, worth pointing out I have been making fanned frets for about 14 years I think... although I have only done 6 or 7 of them in that time.  ;)

blackmachine was definitely before me ( and a main source of inspiration), obviously Novax was.  Perry ormsby was starting to do some at a similar time, I remember lots of discussions with him on the topic via project guitar.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    I'm not making fan frets at the moment and have done for a couple of years, the only reason I'm commenting on this post is that my customers have never mentioned they had to have a different rig amplifier or Fx wise when they switch to a fan fret halfway through a gig. The same can be said for the 5 string basses I used to make.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    Haha!
    WezV said:

somebody lolled it, worth pointing out I have been making fanned frets for about 14 years I think... although I have only done 6 or 7 of them in that time.  ;)

blackmachine was definitely before me ( and a main source of inspiration), obviously Novax was.  Perry ormsby was starting to do some at a similar time, I remember lots of discussions with him on the topic via project guitar.
    Do you still make them? Have you got any pictures or a website by any chance?

Many thanks

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    Jonathanthomas83 said:
    Have you got any pictures or a website by any chance?
    This is a @WezV build ...

It's not half bad.

I've not noticed the amplification issues that you mentioned - although (tbh) it doesn't get anywhere near as much play time as it deserves.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Haha!
    WezV said:

Do you still make them? Have you got any pictures or a website by any chance?

Many thanks
    I am making one right now, but I don’t have time for commissions anymore.  Although that one is spoken for.  Search the site for fanned fret Firebird 

website is wezvenables.co.uk.... but it’s mostly just a load of pictures of random builds at the moment.  Needs a serious rebuild and update at some point.
  • You might like to check out the Vola Eve:
    https://www.volaguitar.com/guitars/vola-eve.html

:)
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    TTony said:
    Jonathanthomas83 said:
    Have you got any pictures or a website by any chance?
    This is a @WezV build ...

It's not half bad.

I've not noticed the amplification issues that you mentioned - although (tbh) it doesn't get anywhere near as much play time as it deserves.

That looks stunning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    I had the Ibanez M80M Meshuggah sig 8 string, the low strings, especially the low F#, sounded absolutely killer with the 29.4" scale, the high strings sounded shrill and the high E...let's just say it didn't like much in the way of being bent.

A multi-scale should go some way towards solving this problem.

I also think anything less than 29" for the low F# sounds terrible* but I seem to be in a minority with this opinion.

*Not exactly terrible, just that you either have to have such a thick string that it sounds more like a bass than a guitar, or such a floppy string that you can't strike through it crisply in the way that I like.