Things I can do to a Vintage V100 with mini humbuckers to make it better....

What's Hot
Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 602
I was going to sell this on, but it plays nicely and i can't justify anything more expensive as I don't "get" Les Paul style guitars really.

So, it has mini humbuckers and I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading these for something better? The stock neck pick up seems to be considerably louder than the bridge. Is this normal or is there likely to be a problem?

I normally use 10 gauge strings and am wondering going up a gauge to see whether that has some impact on the sound of the guitar.

Anything else people like to do? It's not a very expensive guitar so probably wouldn't be sensible putting loads of money into it but might benefit from a little fettle?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    You can either get some better mini humbuckers, or stick some P90’s in

try raising the bridge pickup and lowering the neck pickup first, you should be able to balance the Pickups you have already.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 602
    WezV said:
    You can either get some better mini humbuckers, or stick some P90’s in

try raising the bridge pickup and lowering the neck pickup first, you should be able to balance the Pickups you have already.

That is a very good point. I will get the screwdriver out tomorrow!

Are there many companies doing mini-humbuckers? Never done aftermarket modifications before.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    They are very bland pickups and if you've got one of the typically heavy ones then they are always lifeless. Trevor Wilkinson thought weight would make the the punter think it was like a Gibson, but it did nothing for the tone.  Suggest you sell it and find something else rather than putting more money in to it.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    edited February 2018
    Jetsam1 said:
    The stock neck pick up seems to be considerably louder than the bridge. Is this normal or is there likely to be a problem?
    The "problem" is almost certainly that the exact same pickup has been used in both positions. If both pickups are set approximately the same distance from the strings, the greater string excursion above the neck position pickup will induce a stronger signal than the bridge/Treble position pickup.

The solution is to have a bridge/Treble position pickup that is at least ten per cent more powerful than the neck/Rhythm position pickup.

Jetsam1 said:
    I ... am wondering going up a gauge to see whether that has some impact on the sound of the guitar.
    This suggests that you find the dynamic response of the guitar lacking. If the unamplified sound lacks "impact", the chances are that upgrading to better pickups and/or controls is not going to improve matters very much.

Jetsam1 said:
    I don't "get" Les Paul style guitars
    So, why own one?
    Chalky said:
    Sell it and find something else
    What he said.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Always worth trying better pickups. I've a surplus oil city Marlene neck mini humbucker I'd sell for a good price! 
    Always worth trying better pickups. I've a surplus oil city Marlene neck mini humbucker I'd sell for a good price! 
    Unbiased and impartial view? :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I own a Les Paul type guitar as I have a AVRI Telecaster I've owned for 10 years and do like a change. Yes this Vintage is very heavy, surprisingly heavy actually. However I have never played a Gibson or a PRS so I don't really have anything to compare it with. I want to like LP types, I just feel that I have only had Fenders so just need to get a little more quality time with a decent example of the genre.

So, it seems that it may not be worth doing much with this guitar then? I live in very rural parts so will have to have a think about how to move it on.

There's a Strat I have my eye on up in the big city and they also have a decent looking GIbson LP in stock so I will have a try on it and see what I think.
    Chalky said:
    Always worth trying better pickups. I've a surplus oil city Marlene neck mini humbucker I'd sell for a good price! 
    I also have a pair of these I won’t be selling any time soon.  None of the issues vintage mini-hums can have, just great tone 

how is that for you?
  • Chalky said:
    No comment. Any further questions can be through my lawyer...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Chalky said:
    I also have a pair of these I won’t be selling any time soon.  None of the issues vintage mini-hums can have, just great tone 

how is that for you?

Pushed the valve amp into natural distortion. Sounded ok?

Advantage of living in a wood with the closest neighbour being half a kilometer away!

I was wondering about heavier strings as I was thinking it would have a more similar response to the longer scale length Telecaster?
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Is  it the Mini humbuckers with a plastic surround .If it is P90,s will fit ,I recommend Toneriders  if thats the case .An A5 in the bridge and an a2 in the neck .Pickup height  adjustment is all good advice .
    WezV said:
    Chalky said:

how is that for you?
    Cool your jets. I was joking about him recommending something as advice and also trying to flog it.
    Cool your jets.  I was just backing up the recommendation.
    Pick ups are now balanced. The neck pick up had to go pretty low................
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Now try a set of Gibson Brite Wires strings and see if that makes a difference. Your normal 0.010" gauge will suffice.
    mbe said:
    Now try a set of Gibson Brite Wires strings and see if that makes a difference. Your normal 0.010" gauge will suffice.
    Will have a look! It probably needs a restring in any case.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    oil city Marlene neck mini humbucker
    OC Marlene model would preserve the original look of the V100. The Winterizer model would take the guitar into Gibson Firebird territory.

Seymour Duncan SM-1, -2 or -3 mini humbuckers are worth seeking out pre-owned. The -2 and -3 have higher output - if you require it.

@Grunfeld was listing a pair of EMG mini humbuckers in the Parts £ section. http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/113641/
    Be seeing you.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    mbe said:
    BRITE WIRES?

Shit, the best thing you can do to any new Gibson is change these strings out. Awful strings!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    impmann said:
    mbe said:
    BRITE WIRES?

Shit, the best thing you can do to any new Gibson is change these strings out. Awful strings!
    GARLIC? BREAD?

No seriously, you've got to use different ingredients when dealing with a "Vintage".
  • impmann said:
    mbe said:
    BRITE WIRES?

You beat me to it. Brite wires have no place on any guitar.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.