Blackstar Artist 15...any experiences?

What's Hot
cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
As the title really. 
Had a little play with one today after wanting to try one again for a while. Sounded great with my Gretsch and equally good with the owners MIJ Tele. Certainly lived up to its billing as a great pedal platform and I actually really liked the drive sounds too. Just wondered if anyone had any long term opinions with regards to reliability, gig experiences etc. Seems to be an amp that stays below the radar despite good reviews and seemingly ticking a lot of weekend warrior boxes.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

AFAICT the  amp is based on the HT-40  chassis and so should be as reliable as those and I read no reports of problems?

Of course it uses 6L6s and we ALL know about modern valves! The good news is Blackstar have always designed their amps so that valve death does not result in collateral damage.

Dave.

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    ecc83 said:

AFAICT the  amp is based on the HT-40  chassis and so should be as reliable as those and I read no reports of problems?

Of course it uses 6L6s and we ALL know about modern valves! The good news is Blackstar have always designed their amps so that valve death does not result in collateral damage.

Dave.

Cheers Dave. I'll get to play with the Artist a little longer next week but have to say I am pretty impressed with it and it might be my my next purchase.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

You are welcome Cbilly. I have said this before but, you never know..THEY might be looking in?

I am convinced that a "lower cost" version of the ArtiSAN amplifiers, at least the A15 for starters would sell?  PCB based but GOOD PCB  where the output valves especially are in metal cased holders.

Scrap the Fe*&^%! EZ81 and use a 'zero failure' bridge rect (maybe with a switchable 'sag' R?) MUCH simpler and cheaper power traff. All valve main path but IC based FX loop.

Maybe a choice of speaker?

MOST importantly! Ship the prototype up to Bonny Sctlnd so that ICBM can critique the voicing and get it right!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom