Delay: Should I Upgrade?

What's Hot
I currently have an MXR Carbon Copy. I think it sounds awesome but it does have its limitations; no tap tempo, relatively low regen time, limited tone control, etc.

I like the look of the Carbon Copy Deluxe, however, my pedalboard is crammed and the footprint of the CCD would either cause me to upgrade my board or remove another pedal. Both of which I’m not keen to do.

So, in summary, I’m looking for an analog pedal, with a similar footprint to the Carbon Copy, that has more features and offers more flexibility.

Tonal Recall seems like the obvious choice but I’m open to other suggestions. Power draw is no issue. 

Keen to hear everyones thoughts.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Supa puss is great and can get nice and dark like the carbon copy. It can also be bright if you want to. Tap tempo. Different time sigs. Great features. Probably similar real estate to the carbon copy small version given that it has top jacks. I love mine although I tend not to use it too much since I got my one stop shop the line 6 Helix. 
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    edited February 2018
  • Supa puss is great and can get nice and dark like the carbon copy. It can also be bright if you want to. Tap tempo. Different time sigs. Great features. Probably similar real estate to the carbon copy small version given that it has top jacks. I love mine although I tend not to use it too much since I got my one stop shop the line 6 Helix. 
    Thanks mate, I’ll check it out.

if only all pedals had top jacks! It would solve so many issues. 
  • Do you need tap tempo. As soon as you play a riff otlr a solo it all mushes together and you can never really notice the repeats anyway
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aexander Quadrant? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Do you need tap tempo. As soon as you play a riff otlr a solo it all mushes together and you can never really notice the repeats anyway
    A tap tempo or the ability to select presets would be handy. I appreciate what you’re saying that accurate delay times are practically unnoticeable  in live sets, however, I play a lot of ambient and spacious melodies live that rely on delay. Live, I’m often the only person with a traditional instrument with other people using software and synths making timing mistakes more noticeable. 
  • Mate, save yourself a lot of time... try a Strymon El Cap. All the function and sounds you will need, imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Delay: Should I upgrade?

I'd wait a bit.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    You could melt your mind with an analogue Sinvertek...

https://youtu.be/CIf_-zkhyas
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02 said:

I’ve never even heard of Sinvertek. The Fluid Time looks interesting. Thanks mate.
  • timbuk02 said:

Just mentioned that to @cbellanga in his delay Discussion. Hours of fun by the look of it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Nux tape core looks interesting. Good price and based on the Roland re20 I think. IMO it’s down to flavour with delay pedals. I’ve had expensive boutique models that seemed dull and uninspired and then cheap ones that always make me smile. If I designed one I’d call it the Delay Cream. 70s teenager you see.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited February 2018
    Mate, save yourself a lot of time... try a Strymon El Cap. All the function and sounds you will need, imho.
    +1 for the El Capistan. It’ll do a creditable job of dark, lo-fi analogue flavoured sounds, as well as the obvious shimmery ambient tape-esque ones. Holding down the tap switch makes it self-oscillate brilliantly.
    small footprint too.
  • For a fantastic all in one delay, I'd choose Boss DD-500 or the Source Audio Nemesis.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Mate, save yourself a lot of time... try a Strymon El Cap. All the function and sounds you will need, imho.

He's right! :-)
  • I’ve recently bought the red knob Tonal Recall and love it. It is however, £££££££
    guess you don't do any rhythmic delay type playing then, set to a click track?
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    A used Nemesis would be around £200 and ticks every delay box I can think of.
    guess you don't do any rhythmic delay type playing then, set to a click track?

I do sometimes but generally, as I use dark analogue delays with the repeats up, it all starts to mush into one fairly quickly.

If it's staccato I usually try to play it without delay

There are times but it's not impossible to get the tempo with a rate dial. It's how we used to manage it about 15 years ago

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.