Duesenberg Les Trem II Chrome - fitted to Les Paul Studio

What's Hot
notanonnotanon Frets: 605
edited February 2018 in Making & Modding
I checked these on the web and quite impressed so gave one a blast as they are 100% non-destructive. So, polished the frets on the Les Paul and dropped it into place. Nice and easy and also feels good. Stable with the tuning as well though I haven't tried hammering it Bigsby types aren't for dive bombs. I would recommend them.

Guitar is sparkling for the weekend - well pleased! Images not very good from my phone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They are very cool
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    I reallylike the duesenberg trems.  Very smooth feel
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    That looks super cool.  So it's a drop-in for a tune-o-matic stop bar, huh?  Interesting...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    Been a few hours of testing now. I think I may need some graphite or something on the nut, or maybe it is the bridge. Guitar  doesn't seem to always return back to tune. They are fresh strings but I bent and sometimes goes sharp. Would a tiny amount of D'Addario lemon oil on the nut work?  Can graphite be added after stringing? Bridge end - change for a roller type bridge? Any recommendations?

Still loving this - a happy bunny: Quality is excellent and price smashes a Bigsby.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6122
    tFB Trader
    Tried one of these on my mates guitar today, he has a bone nut and a roller bridge and as such the system is flawless. Really well made and smooth to use, properly impressive engineering and tbh not that heavy.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 187
    I have one on a 335 copy.  Roller saddles and a graph-tech nut helped with the tuning stability.  I find the stock arm far too long though, and have a cut-down strat arm on mine.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    They do work well (nut and bridge issues aside) and are non-invasive, but they just look so wrong on a Gibson! Maybe it's just because we're used to Bigsbys.

They look absolutely fine on something like a Yamaha SG... where a Bigsby would look equally wrong.

I know this is very shallow but I'm sure I'm not alone on this :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve got one on my latest project Strat - works well but very easy to move the arm bracket so that the spring pops out. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    I had a guitar pop up on my Facebook feed with a Les Trem fitted, except they’d recessed it into the body, looked soooo trick.
    I think it was a Deimel
    edited February 2018
    @downbytheriver I was curious what you meant so googled. Have you tried detuning and tightening the hex nut above the spring? Mine seems fine. I have ordered some graphite powder.
    edited February 2018
    @MartinB I thought about that. Which roller bridge did you use? Lots of people think they can drain the tones and sustain, did you notice any difference?
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I needed a roller bridge too. Bone nut. I like the Wilkinson type but its bigger than a TOM so the looks might not suit. Had a Schaller, STM I think, that did drain sustain and guts from the tone.
    @DrBob ;
    That looks quite cool IMO - what type is that saddle do you think?

edited February 2018
    A full assessment of a TOM bridge v Wilkinson Roller bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDSBQnl8txw

edited February 2018
    A great video explaining the break angle and the problems it causes with bigsbys on certain guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig5PeUIlYZM

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 187
    notanon said:
    @MartinB I thought about that. Which roller bridge did you use? Lots of people think they can drain the tones and sustain, did you notice any difference?

I was limited in my choices, because I have one of the old Samick tune-o-matics with unusual post spacing that rules out most replacement bridges unless you plug and re-drill the body.  I ended up finding a set of generic roller saddles from eBay which almost fitted the original bridge and filing a bit off the sides until they did.  I haven't noticed a difference in tone and sustain, it's still a pretty sustainy guitar (well, compared to my Jazzmaster!). 

• notanon said:
    @downbytheriver I was curious what you meant so googled. Have you tried detuning and tightening the hex nut above the spring? Mine seems fine. I have ordered some graphite powder.
    https://i.imgur.com/Ixujgat.jpg

It’s the big hex screw in the middle! If that isn’t tight the bracket can move and the spring can fly out! There’s a long old lever trying to move it too. 

I do do like this trem as it is very smooth, just make sure everything is snug!