Idea of price required rare strat content.

What's Hot
ive got one of the rare ltd edition USA strats with the solid rosewood neck from 2015, in daphne blue, they sold out in a matter of a week or so, but I’ve played it 2 or 3 times at most and think I should move it on ideally. What do you guys think it’s worth?

still got original case, case candy etc.. beyond immaculate as it came straight to me from fender so not even out in the shop at the time.

Fender Limited Edition American Strat w/ solid Rosewood Neck Daphe blue

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    There’s a sunburst one on Reverb asking just under £1500 - but that’s in the US. If I’m honest that feels a little high - I guess the problem with it is that rosewood is less easy to move now due to CITES. Anyway, glwts - it is indeed a bit of a rare bird now...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normal rules apply, try taking 25% off what you paid, then if it still doesn't sell take off a third.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Its a Strat whose selling points are Rosewood (CITES will raise alarm bells in some folks) and that it sounds different to a normal Strat (you've lost 90%+ of buyers now). So as wise @Winny_Pooh said, try knocking some off what you paid. But be prepared to wait for the right buyer.

Its a rare guitar, true. But always ask yourself why any recent rare guitar was only made in small numbers?  If it was a good guitar and a good seller, Fender would have made more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    No CITES issues to worry about if selling in the UK and EU - no paperwork required - so any one can buy with confidence and no issues/fear factor etc
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    No CITES issues to worry about if selling in the UK and EU - no paperwork required - so any one can buy with confidence and no issues/fear factor etc
    Of course, but that isn't how most punters think.  Since when is fear rational? See diesel car sales...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    I would think CITES will put the value up. There won’t ever be any more of them now... and importing one becomes harder so the ‘pool’ available in the UK is much smaller.

If it sounds different to a normal Strat that’s a plus too - you may put off *most* buyers, but the rarer ones who want to like Strats but always find them too thin-sounding will see it as a bonus.

50% more than the equivalent guitar in the same condition without the rosewood neck is probably about right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• So if used us strats are going for ~£800 and I paid £1600 for it £1300 doesn’t sound too unreasonable? I’ll get it out of its case & get some pics and put a thread in the classifieds. Thanks guys
    bucky1602 said:
    So if used us strats are going for ~£800 and I paid £1600 for it £1300 doesn’t sound too unreasonable? I’ll get it out of its case & get some pics and put a thread in the classifieds. Thanks guys
    That sounds a reasonable starting point and a fair ask to me... 

ICBM said:
    I would think CITES will put the value up. There won’t ever be any more of them now... and importing one becomes harder so the ‘pool’ available in the UK is much smaller.

At the same time, the potential customer pool for someone trying to sell is suddenly much, much smaller because of CITES... so finding a buyer might take longer...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    The fact you've only played it 2 or 3 times tells me all I need to know.
     :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    edited February 2018
    bucky1602 said:
    So if used us strats are going for ~£800 and I paid £1600 for it £1300 doesn’t sound too unreasonable? I’ll get it out of its case & get some pics and put a thread in the classifieds. Thanks guys
    Truthfully ? I think you are miles out at £1300. But I might be wrong... it looks £800 - £1000 personally, but I might be wrong.

Just saying...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It’s a tricky one though as there simply aren’t any others out there right now in this part of the world, and a second-hand one in the US is asking almost £1500 (which would land here at almost £2k after shipping). 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Whitecat said:

At the same time, the potential customer pool for someone trying to sell is suddenly much, much smaller because of CITES... so finding a buyer might take longer...
    I can’t see why CITES would make the resale market much smaller either - the vast majority of owners wouldn’t consider selling it outside the UK anyway for other valid reasons, and if you’re not going to then it’s a total non-issue.

bucky1602 said:
    So if used us strats are going for ~£800 and I paid £1600 for it £1300 doesn’t sound too unreasonable?
    Whitecat said:
    a second-hand one in the US is asking almost £1500 (which would land here at almost £2k after shipping). 
    £1300 doesn’t sound unreasonable at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I guess it’s because I don’t mind selling overseas to most countries... but with the new permit requirements, I likely won’t. And on a high-end piece especially it just shrinks the customer base.

Hopefully the rumours of them loosening the paperwork needs for musical instruments next year come to pass. 
  • Sassafras said:
    The fact you've only played it 2 or 3 times tells me all I need to know.
     :) 
    If I’m truthful about it my ESP is a custom shop KH2 and I’ve not found anything that comes near it in terms of play, just fits so that’s what I reach for most of all. The neck on this strat feels like silk, the fretwork is great, rolled edges etc.. so ticks all the boxes, just seem to like the KH more maybe it’s the fanboy in me :-)
  • Try it on our forum and see how it goes... the market will decide. GLWTS :)
    Try it on our forum and see how it goes... the market will decide. GLWTS :)
    In all honesty this forum rarely feels like a fair rep of “the market...”

But all he needs is one interested punter...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Saw your ad OP, glwts but it’s a little disingenuous to say Fender will never do this again. For them it’s easy to move rosewood, they do it all the time and still build lots of guitars with it. Other manufacturers have solid rosewood necks coming into the U.K. all the time - so it’s not that they are prevented by any higher power, it’s simply whether they choose to do it or not. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    edited February 2018
    bucky1602 said:
    Truthfully ? I think you are miles out at £1300. But I might be wrong... it looks £800 - £1000 personally, but I might be wrong.

Just saying...
    I’m with Waz on this one. There may be that one punter out there who just has to have the rosewood neck model. But I reckon most punters will think £1300 is more than AVRI money and close to Custom Shop Classic values, and those would probably be much better guitars, albeit without the solid rosewood neck. And are used US Standard Strats really going for £800? eBay sold prices suggests a fair bit less than that, on average, and the seller actually receives 10% less again in their pocket.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/