More Low end, coupling cap, tone cap or cathode?

Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
edited February 2018 in Amps
I have a silverface champ thats needs more low end. It has a 20watt weber speaker and plugging into a 2x10 still sounds like there is a overly strong high pass filter on there. Based on this schemo would you recommend changing the coupling cap before the 6V6 first? 
I've also read about paralleling a cap on the 6V6 cathode.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    edited February 2018
    Sounds like there may be something wrong - Champs normally have a lot of bottom end, especially through a big cabinet.

Increasing the 6V6 cathode cap to a 50V one is a good idea for reliability reasons (the cathode voltage can be over 25V) as well as possibly to 50uF for increasing bass response if it does need it. If the caps haven't been replaced it would probably be worthwhile doing them all, including this one and the V1 cathode caps.

If you're working on the amp, don't worry about the HT voltages being drastically higher than the schematic shows - these are correct for the original 1964 version of the amp, but later ones have a Princeton PT and higher voltages, without anything else being changed! So they tend to run the 6V6 very hot, which is why the cathode voltage is higher.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think something else may be amiss then, those caps are new and I'd swear there was no bass issue when I last played it but because it's sat for two months I'd assumed it was just my memory.