Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's Hot
dexterdexterdexterdexter Frets: 4
edited February 2018 in Guitar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited February 2018
    Don't be put off by a Strat style tremolo, you can pretty much hardtail it buy adding a few extra springs, pulled tightly.

You can hardtail any trem pretty much, but the Strat trem is so easy to hardtail because you just pull it tight against the body, rather than needing a Tremel-No or similar for floating trems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610

As @Jack said you can block the trem to effectively make it hardtail and then reverse it if you decide you do want the trem.

OK.. giving an idea of what kind of budget you want to spend will help with recommendations. I'd look to pull an amp and guitar secondhand to get more bang for your buck altho not sure how much gear floats around in Malta. If you have decent enough budget bringing stuff in from the EU might be worth a punt

• dexterdexterdexterdexter Frets: 4
    edited February 2018

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    The specification of the little Fender amp, if it is the Frontman 15g, is better than the Laney.
    edited February 2018

edited February 2018

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    Both amps should be equally reliable. The Fender just might have the edge over the Laney regarding clarity.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited February 2018
    @dexterdexter ;; get a PRS SE - Used will be good value; it will be a good player and you won't need to worry about anything. Will sound decent too.

The lower priced Pacificas are awful what with their Basswood necks and soulless pickups. They sound wiry and woody and clatter when played. The frets are sharp too. Four students got them last year and each is woeful.

The Frontman 15G is a good amp for clean but the Gain channel is rubbish. It has some thump and volume for an 8" speaker though. Put a drive pedal through the clean channel and is OK tone..

I only paid a tenner for mine and have no quibble with it.

Also see this guy playing one flat out. Mind you, he makes a steel girder with a humbucker strapped to it sound good, so don't be too seduced!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

now I want it back after watching that guy  :/
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1710
    edited February 2018
    "Basswood neck" Really? if so that's surely the first time anyone has used that material for a guitar neck.

Perhaps you meant basswood body. Mind you, looking at the specs of the PAC 120 appears that they have maple necks and alder bodies...

details details...
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    edited February 2018

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    so the wood of the squire is better than the yamaha?
    ooh dunno about that, it's well known that yamaha uses only the finest woods 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    edited February 2018

• These people deliver to Malta for 30 euros and  will more than likely have anything on your shortlist 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/helpdesk_shipping.html

Best to try before you buy but for a first guitar an online order is an option
    edited February 2018

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    edited February 2018
    If I have a telecaster singlecoils does it makes the 50 cycle hum? or a strat sss coils? I want the guitar to make no humming. Let's say on a telecaster, at which switch setting can you cancel the hum at all?
    Hi, and welcome,

It seems to me that you're possibly overthinking things (understandably as this is your first electric guitar). 

All single coil guitars will give some 50Hz hum but in the real world it is rarely an issue.

If you want a hardtail I'd suggest a Squier Telecaster. The Affinity is a ridiculously decent guitar for the money. However, if you can run to it then the Squier Classic Vibe Tele gets a lot of love on this forum and many prefer it over the Fender Mexican Std instrument. You haven't really said what kind of music you like, but a lot of great music has involved Teles - Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Police, plenty of Motown, country, etc, etc.

As others have already said, don't be put off of Strats because of the whammy bar - you don't have to use it. The trem springs are part of what makes a Strat sound 'Stratty'. Strats can be effectively hardtailed by blocking, stiffening, or decking the trem.

Regarding amps, my inclination would be to go for whatever has the larger speaker. 8" will sound better than 6.5". If you can find a decent amp with a 10" or 12" speaker then it will certainly sound 'bigger'. Reading between the lines I get the impression that you like to keep things straightforward. Fender Champion 40 perhaps?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    Being a "beginner" myself & having recently tried several budget Squiers, Vintages, Ibanez, Chord & Yamaha"s I don"t think that you can go wrong with a Yamaha Pacifica, either a 012 or for a little more money a 112 model.
    I would say this especially if you are buying online without trying the guitar first as the Yamaha"s are known for being very consistent & I found that the Squiers I tried could sound & feel quite different from guitar to guitar.
    I thought that the Yamaha 112 was the best of the guitars I played.
    Just my opinion & as I said I am only a beginner myself.

edited February 2018

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    Don’t worry about the hum, it really isn’t an issue while you’re playing.
  • Forget about the hum - as long as you’re not playing right up close to another electrical source, and aren’t using lots of distortion, it won’t be a problem. If you do notice a bit of hum, you’ll probably find that sitting/standing at a different angle stops it - the important thing is knowing how to control the hum.

I play singlecoil guitars in a small room near a valve amp, a pedalboard, a laptop and a multi power adaptor and don’t have any noise problems.