Maple, Rosewood and frets?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3450
Do frets on a Rosewood board seem higher than those on a Maple board? Weird question I know but I was just wondering?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    How many alcohols have you ingested? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3450
    A few, Its just that I was in a shop today trying some guitars and all the Roasewood guitars seemed to have slightly taller frets, its not due to the finish on the Maple boards is it? 
  • strat1990strat1990 Frets: 25
    edited February 2018
    I think it's just the finish on the maple boards, I've got 2 identical strats, except for the fretboards and the frets seem more pronounced, but it's just a slight difference 
    "Pick your noses up!"
    robgilmo said:
    A few, Its just that I was in a shop today trying some guitars and all the Roasewood guitars seemed to have slightly taller frets, its not due to the finish on the Maple boards is it? 
    What guitars were they? 
    Fenders and Squiers, Teles and Strats. All of them had medium Jumbo frets but the Roswewood boards had frets that felt bigger, one standard mex Tele I played had a maple board and the frets felt like they just weren't there at all, it felt really lovely.
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    edited February 2018
    I had a Squier CV tele with maple neck until recently and the frets seemed low due to the very thick poly finish on the fretboard.

They were just normal Fender medium jumbos (~46thou high), but felt completely different on the laquered neck compared to a rosewood neck. I really didn't like it at all as my fingers seemed to drag on the fingerboard when bending strings.
  • Only when they’re higher....
  • Yeah as above I think it's the super thick poly finish on the maple boards. Is it done after they are fretted? I know when you see refrets of a maple board they advise cutting along the frets. I'm building a stratishcaster with a maple board and I'm planning on just colouring it with nitro and then oiling, I'm OK with it wearing but hate the way the gloss finish catches your fingers when you're trying to bend a string.
  • It would make sense - they're hammered in to the same height, but maple necks get a couple of coats of lacquer or poly over the whole neck but it gets scraped off the frets.
    Are you sure they all have the same fret sizes? The American Specials have jumbo and the Pro has narrow-tall. No idea what the Mexican and Squiers are meant to have though...
    All the guitars I tried were Stabndards, the expensive stuff was on the top shelf.

• You are correct, it is the lacquer on the board.
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    Are you higher?