SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - PJ Bass Pickups

TTonyTTony Frets: 27436
I put this together a while back;

Overall, I love it.

But the p'ups (Kent Armstrongs) don't work for my ears.

So, anyone selling any other PJ sets?
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Active or passive? Also, what budget?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    I have an active Fernandes set if you're interested. Probably a bit tatty looking, but price would be negligible/charitable/something. I could bring them to the show on Saturday. 
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27436
    Active or passive?
    My initial thinking was passive, just to keep it simpler, but - being new to  bass - perhaps I should try different  options to work out what works for my ears.

Also, what budget?
    Looks like a new SD or DiMarzio set (which I guess would be reasonably "safe" options) would cost £100-£125, so half-ish of that for s/h alternatives?

FatPete said:
    I have an active Fernandes set if you're interested. Probably a bit tatty looking, but price would be negligible/charitable/something. I could bring them to the show on Saturday. 
    @FatePete - please bring them to the show.  I'll certainly give them a try.
    :)
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    What are the pickups on there? Looking for a set for my vm short scale jaguar bass :-)
    @4114Effects

Kent Armstrongs - although wound by his son Aaron.
    tFB Trader
    Cheers. I meant more what model ... just wondering what it is about the tone you don't like. That is if you're likely to be selling them. :-) 
    They're a mystery model!  I've got some pics of the underside somewhere, but this is what Aaron had to say about them;

The pickups are hand made by me by the looks of the hand writing, although my dads hand writing is pretty similar to mine (pretty un-tidy!). The p-bass pickup has a slightly thinner gauge wire than a standard p-bass, and slightly less turns with a ceramic magnet, this should give you a bright punchy sound. The jazz pickup is an SS humbucker (2 coils are on their sides with magnets in them and a blade of steel running down the length of the pickup. This should give you good attack but not the usual unwanted back ground hum of a jazz bass.

And yes - they'd be redundant if I can find another option.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    ... just wondering what it is about the tone you don't like.
    TTony said:
    "... ceramic magnet ..."
    To anyone accustomed to the sounds of a traditional Fender bass pickups, constructed around alnico rod magnets, anything with a ceramic bar magnet and steel polepieces sounds odd. Too modern. Too bright - unless it is a Bartolini.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    They're a mystery model!  I've got some pics of the underside somewhere, but this is what Aaron had to say about them;

The pickups are hand made by me by the looks of the hand writing, although my dads hand writing is pretty similar to mine (pretty un-tidy!). The p-bass pickup has a slightly thinner gauge wire than a standard p-bass, and slightly less turns with a ceramic magnet, this should give you a bright punchy sound. The jazz pickup is an SS humbucker (2 coils are on their sides with magnets in them and a blade of steel running down the length of the pickup. This should give you good attack but not the usual unwanted back ground hum of a jazz bass.

Lovely. Let me know when you do. Cheers! 
    Thanks @FatPete - good to meet you on Sunday and thanks for the package.  And now I clearly understand where your username comes from!

(For anyone who's not met Mr F Pete, he's about as un-fat as it's possible to be, whilst still being visible).

Any other offers out there before I jump into getting something custom wound, or hitting the SD / DiMarzio options ....
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    Did you ever find anything? I'm lining up a bass that needs at least one new pickup and starting to look for options...
    edited March 2018
    Did you ever find anything? I'm lining up a bass that needs at least one new pickup and starting to look for options...
    @robinbowesI've not done anything as yet - other than collect the active set from FatPete at the show.

This is my first bass, so I want to try different p'up options to test out what difference they make to the sound.  It's all on a long learning curve that I've not got enough time to work through!
    TTony said:

Lovely. Let me know when you do. Cheers! 
    @4114Effects ;

Looks like I will sell these and replace with something more traditional.  No idea what they're worth as there isn't exactly a lot of examples of these being sold on evilB.

If you're still interested, PM me an offer?