Thinning the herd... now updated

What's Hot
TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
edited February 2018 in Guitar
These days I'm concentrating on acoustic playing rather than electric.

I've bought a Taylor GS Mini as a bit of a workhorse and have my eye on another lovely Taylor...

I'll be able to get away with these two guitars and then two electrics.

That means I need to trim down my collection somewhat... My dilemma is a combination of sentimentality and usefulness...

I'll go through each guitar in turn stating my thoughts on each.

Firstly my existing acoustics:

Yamaha APX500III Electro acoustic
I bought this guitar last year as I wanted something relatively cheap for playing at acoustic nights.

Whilst it's a very easy guitar to play (and it really did get me properly into acoustic playing) it does sound a bit 'thin' and it's not particularly loud, hence why I bought the GS Mini. 

I have a bit of an attachment with this guitar in that I do really like playing it and it has brought on my playing considerably. That said it's probably going to be easy enough to let this one go.

Takamine F250SM Jumbo acoustic

This could be a tricky one... it was a present from Mrs R as I wanted an acoustic for my 50th birthday (nearly 3 years ago now!), although it was me that found it, she paid for it. It is a beautiful guitar but the jumbo size is just too large for my small frame, I don't really find it all that comfortable to play. 

It's also got solid maple sides and back, which means it's not quite as base as it's size suggests.

I'm sure with a bit of sweet talking I could convince Mrs R that it's just not the guitar for me and so it too could go.

So that's the acoustics now for the electrics:

Fender Japan 1965 RI Strat
This is probably the most versatile electric I own and one that will remain in my possession.

I bought it new a few years ago and it's a great guitar - it even has abound fretboard, which rather sadly is one of the reasons I bought it.

It does for pretty much most of what I need from an electric - I play mostly 80's alternative stuff for which it works great, though for some of the sounds it's not quite right - as it sounds a bit 'Fendery' if you get what I mean.

Charvel ST Custom
I've owned this guitar from new since the early 1990s and I used to play it regularly - until I got the Fender! It's not particularly characterful in terms of sound - it's definitely no Strat in that respect. It is however a lovely guitar to play, the neck is wonderful.

I could let this go without too much heartache, but as it's not particularly fashionable and the headstock shape puts people off, I doubt I'd get a huge amount for it.

Gretsch G6120N New Nashville
Something of an oddity in the 6120 Series, this is a wonderful guitar. I bought it reading about them in the Gretsch book I've got and was determined to track one down.

These guitars are quite rare beasts with a very thin body and a Florentine cutaway, leading some to claim "they are not real Gretsches". I refute that claim - look at the colour for a start! This guitar sounds amazing, it looks amazing, but does it get the attention it deserves, probably not, could I live without it? Probably.

Gretsch G6120AM - Amber Maple
I bought this guitar as a 50th present to myself and it's absolutely beautiful, very easy to play and sounds lovely (although not as good as the Annie). I do enjoy playing this guitar an out of the three Gretsches it does get the most attention. So probably a keeper this one.

Gretsch G6118T-LTV Jaguar Tan
This was formerly owned by @TheMarlin and @BillKat both of this parish and is a truly awesome guitar. It's just so easy to play and is by far the best sounding out of all of my guitars - to be honest I would love the 6120AM to sound like this guitar - it's got a real 'bark', something the AM doesn't have - despite it having TV Jone pickups. 

I just don't give this guitar the attention it does truly deserve, but it's just such a great guitar!

and finally...

Rickenbacker 1998PT Pete Townshend Limited Edition
I've owned this guitar since 1988 and was blown away by how it looked when I saw it in the shop window. I had to have it - and funnily enough had just got a loan out to purchase a Ric 330, but saw this in the way!

Being a Ric, it's got a very distinct sound, the vintage toaster top pickups give that nice 60's feel to the sound - it's not as punch as the later hi-gain pickups Ric used on later guitars.

I've been playing this quite a lot recently as it gives me those nice jangly 80s sounds. 

Being quite rare, by far the most valuable in my collection and my first 'real' guitar purchase I think I'd be reluctant to let this one go.

So there you have it folks, I really don't do most of these guitars justice in terms of the amount of play they get, most of them (barring the Ric, the 1620AM and the Strat) just sit looking pretty on the wall.

So what do I do??

Comments and musings welcome.
We are all Chameleons...
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I keep thinking I should sell some electrics. I mainly pick up an acoustic to work at learning new stuff, or playing along with previously learned stuff.. When I do pick up an electric, it feels a bit 'wrong' somehow.. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If in doubt put a select few away or lend them out to a trusted soul for a while and see how you fare without them. Should help to focus the decision.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited February 2018
    mikem8634 said:
    If in doubt put a select few away or lend them out to a trusted soul for a while and see how you fare without them. Should help to focus the decision.
    I don't think I'd be happy lending any of them out to anyone - not even my mum!! ;)

I'm quite good that once I've made up my mind I can stick to it - however making up my mind is the hardest bit!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27433
    TonyR said:

most of them (barring the Ric, the 1620AM and the Strat) just sit looking pretty on the wall.

So what do I do??

Comments and musings welcome.
    I'd suggest you do absolutely nothing, provided you've got enough wall space and don't need the ££s to fund the new ones.

Some people spend millions - hundreds of millions - on artwork to make a wall look more interesting.  There's nothing wrong (IMHO) in having a few guitars on a wall in lieu of a Picasso or three.  

If pushed, sounds like the Charvel and the New Nashville have the least claim on your affections or emotions, so maybe sell those (accepting that you might not get top dollar for them) to avoid having to find space for two more wall hangers for the impending arrivals.

Disclaimer
    I have way too many guitars by any rational measure because I can always find a reason for keeping pretty much any one of them.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Keep the Taki your wife bought, it's a milestone birthday present. I almost never play a guitar I got for my 18th but it would feel wrong and inappropriate to ever sell it.

I quite like the Charvel. although the 6120AM is absolutely stonking.
  • Get rid of the two Gretches and the yamaha.

If that gives you enough to buy the Taylor, get it.

See how that feels then maybe add the tak, charvel and new Taylor to the pile (I do not like taylors)

Just don't sell at prices you would be unhappy to let them go for.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    edited February 2018
    Get rid of the two Gretches and the yamaha.

If that gives you enough to buy the Taylor, get it.

See how that feels then maybe add the tak, charvel and new Taylor to the pile (I do not like taylors)

The obvious starting point is this. 

Then swap the Tak for something you'd prefer (possibly the Taylor itself) - I got a Gibson Dove for my 30th, but switched for a Martin HD28 a couple of years later. I realised that the thing I cherished most was the experience of trying a load of guitars and starting a journey into nice acoustics, more than the physical guitar itself. The Martin is now one of my most cherished possessions. 

And consider losing the Charvel if you want more space/fewer guitars, but don't sweat it if keeping it makes you happy. 

In full-on MarieKondo-mode, keep only the guitars that give you joy.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the comments so far chaps :)
    I realised that the thing I cherished most was the experience of trying a load of guitars and starting a journey into nice acoustics, more than the physical guitar itself.
    @stickyfiddle - to be honest I have never thought about it like this, for me it’s always about the physical guitar. I do have a tendency to rush into stuff and buy something because of what it is or how it looks.

But do you know I think you might have just changed my way of thinking - from now on I’m going to take my time, after all at 52 I’m not an impatient teenager any more!

So thank you very much for that - Wisdom awarded. :)
    (I do not like taylors)
    Just out of interest what is it about Taylors that you don’t like? 
    I most definitely won’t be doing that!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • TonyR said:
    Thanks for the comments so far chaps :)
    I realised that the thing I cherished most was the experience of trying a load of guitars and starting a journey into nice acoustics, more than the physical guitar itself.
    @stickyfiddle - to be honest I have never thought about it like this, for me it’s always about the physical guitar. I do have a tendency to rush into stuff and buy something because of what it is or how it looks.

But do you know I think you might have just changed my way of thinking - from now on I’m going to take my time, after all at 52 I’m not an impatient teenager any more!

So thank you very much for that - Wisdom awarded. :)

Hey, i'm happy to help! It's probably worth adding that it took me 6 months of worrying before I even told MrsF I was considering swapping the Dove, and then I overlapped the 2 guitars for another 4 months or so to be sure I was doing the right thing. But I'm absolutely convinced it was the right thing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
    If you're really stuck, sell them all. I know it sounds crazy, but you'd have a great time with a completely blank canvas and a shitload of money, and a real focus on finding guitars you really want and will play. 
  • @TonyR i find taylors have a very specific voicing that I don't like. Mind I've only played ones from their lower 2 ranges, they are very bright. I much prefer Takamine's core sound.

But you might love em. Goes without saying check a few out!

• p90fool said:
    If you're really stuck, sell them all. I know it sounds crazy, but you'd have a great time with a completely blank canvas and a shitload of money, and a real focus on finding guitars you really want and will play. 
    I’m with this point of view having done the same thing several times over. In fact... I’ve almost started to see my rig as a five year revolving cycle where everything will come and go. But I’m a sucker for gas and flipping a guitar or five. 

However, my bottom line is that if it isn’t getting used it needs to go to someone who will use it. Guitars are tools of the trade to my mind and the emotional attachment argument always seems a bit strange (it’s an inanimate object after all).

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck.
    Goes without saying check a few out!
    I'm gonna do just that - I had my mind set on a particular guitar, but thanks to @stickyfiddle and his wise words above I'm not going to rush into it.

p90fool said:
    Hmmm, yes that thought had seriously crossed my mind too!

...the emotional attachment argument always seems a bit strange (it’s an inanimate object after all).
    I'm a bit soft like that unfortunately, I develop an emotional attachment to pretty much anything I own... I recall the day I sold my Yamaha RD350YPVS (that's a motorbike - not a guitar!) - in tears I was, in tears I tell you!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Nice herd Tony.. Hope you're well mate.

For me when there's something out there I want, I decide if I want it more, or could do more with it, than something I've got. If a thing's not being it's days are numbered, it's just 'stuff' taking space & cash that could be changed into something useful. Not that I don't miss guitars, like the Annie..

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    TonyR said:
    Yamaha RD350YPVS 
    I do love a stinkwheel. That's the bike I lusted after in my teens

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Taylors are ok but if ur looking at the higher end taylors I would look at Collings n other better makers.

The problem with selling is a few guitar is can you get what you want for them. Gretsches aren't the easiest to sell.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    @TonyR i find taylors have a very specific voicing that I don't like. Mind I've only played ones from their lower 2 ranges, they are very bright. I much prefer Takamine's core sound.

But you might love em. Goes without saying check a few out!

tend to agree with you on that - Many of the Jap Takamine models have a nicer voice than many Taylor models - both plugged in and acoustic - just a preference IMO
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4774
    edited February 2018
    Sorry to gatecrash but thought I'd add my 2 penneth......

I'll say one thing about Taylors, compared to some other high price acoustics it's not just the voicing that is off slightly (although I also found them not as pleasant), but they feel a lot more flimsy than the equivalent Martin, Gibson, Takamine etc.. I tried a bunch of them in shops around Nottingham one day (I am going back a while I will concede!) and found the Taylors I tried quite frankly not up to the same level in tone and generally quite fragile in appearance. Even my Freshman 400D outshone the Taylors I tried that were over twice the money. That's the guitar I bought that day as the only guitar better than it was a J45 which was simply jaw droppingly amazing and the only reason I didn't get it was because it sold just after I tried it! Damn it, however the Freshman made up for it to be honest, some of the Takamines were also stunningly good but a tad more ornate than I prefer which put me off somewhat. Their build quality is superb though, as were the Martins and the Gibbos I tried. Whether things have changed now I don't know. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Sell me the Charvel ST! ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Sell me the Charvel ST! ;)
    You got PM! ;)
    We are all Chameleons...