Scales - but different

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4691
I'm trying to learn scales.  I find it hard to remember them without constant repetition and I think that a book - or similar - with fretboard diagrams would be a very useful thing to have around.  Here's the problem though; I totally struggle with scales shown in vertical diagrams, and I mean totally.  It's too much for my old brain to take onboard.

Can anyone recommend a scales resource, be it a book, some other publication, a website or anything where the fretboard is portrayed horizontally?

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    • The Guitar Handbook (Ralph Denyer, PAN)
    • The Complete Guitarist (similar book, but can't remember the author or publisher)
    • My teaching handouts
    Or, you could print stuff out and turn the page round ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    I’ve had this app for a while

http://72.193.38.65:8080/scalepower3/html/gsp_index.html

Can be set to display horizontally on th iPad.
    Alternative suggestion:

draw 6 lines parallel and horizontal for strings
    draw vertical lines for frets
    choose a scale EG the major scale. You know how it is structured, TTSTTTS, where T = Tone, 2 frets and S = SemiTone, 1 fret.

Start on the lowest (6th) string, at the end nearest the nut, and put R (root) on the lowest fret. Then put 2, two frets up, then 3, two frets up from that, then 4 on the next fret. Populate the whole string with that scale as far as you've drawn it.
    Move to the next (5th) string. You know that the interval between the 6th and 5th strings is a 4th, so on the 5th string you put 4 on the same fret where you put 1 on the 6th string. Add 5 two frets up, 6 two frets up from that, 7 two frets up from that and then you're back to R one fret up. Continue up that string 2,3,4 etc for as far as you've drawn it.
    Move to the 4th string. On the same fret as the Root on the sixth string is a b7, you need a maj7, so 1 fret up from where you put the root on the 6th string is the maj 7th and one fret higher than that is the root that is one octave up from the one on the 6th string. Continue up that string 2,3,4 etc.
    Similar for the remaining strings.
    Observe that (i) the pattern repeats itself 12 frets up from where you started (ii) the pattern on the 1st string is the same as that on the 6th - but 2 octaves higher (iii) when you cross from a lower string to the one higher the pattern is the same but shifted left by a few frets.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6766
    edited March 2018

If you have a PC and a printer - suggest getting some software and print your own. I use Neck diagrams and can do chords / scales, chords or ideas for songs\chord progressions, etc its very flexible in how you can display information, so you van make it work for your learning style..

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/

Hers an example of how I'm using it comparing major to minor pentatonic relationship and the CAGED chords  ignore the G Minor error it should be Gb minor

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    ref @mrkb ; yes I used word with courier new typeface. vertical bars (|) for frets, minus for strings (-), allow one '-' either side of the scale degree between it and the fret. You can put the Roots in Bold or in Red if you have a colour printer. :)

This is one I did to look at note options for Little Wing chord progression

Heres my mapping of Pentatonic scale to Minor mode notes - in a similar horizontal format to what the OP wanted.

I bought the full version (with auto scale generation) but its been the best £35 Ive ever spent on "tuition".

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4691
    Have to say that neckdiagrams looks a good way of doing it, if a bit time consuming, but nice and big would be brilliant whatever.
    It’s not time consuming- about 3mins per Fretboard for a scale diagram. It auto generates a scale and you select whether it shows notes, intervals or Roman numerals. Then select all roots (one mouse click) and change the colour or all of them in one go. Try the free demo, it allows you to make 6 pages I think.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    @rlw PM me with some info on what scale and setup you’d like to see, and I’ll generate a pdf file of it generated by neck diagrams as an example.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 300

I would recommend this course: https://truefire.com/guitar-lessons/dna-pentatonics/c1230.
    David is a great guy with lots of insights, all lessons are with tabs. Just playing scales without understanding them is the key to...robotic playing.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    I like remembering them from finger numbers...so for say a one octave major scale I would look fingers ....1..2 ..4...
    And                                  1...3...4
    So that's E A D strings ..that scale will start from the Maj 7 ...or locrian mode or whatever

I think it's a good idea to learn scales in one octave first then link them ...not learn them 2 or 3 octaves straight away ..

• rlwrlw Frets: 4691
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for all the responses.  I'll do the shopping, do the housework, do my client's work and get back to you later on
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 328
    edited March 2018
    Hi,

This one has been recommended on here before somewhere: https://www.fretflip.com/

You can select a scale, customise it, email it to yourself to print off etc.

Shows all scales horizontally.
    I love my brick
  • machakmachak Frets: 8
    edited August 2018
    I am bit late for this, but anyway:  I've created different interactive diagrams for scales/modes/arpeggios. 

For traditional shapes check: https://grunfy.com/scaler.html  there are also "interval" based shapes (pentanizer/modenizer). 

Arpeggios are bit hidden in the tools section https://grunfy.com/tools/arpeggios.html  

Use buttons at the bottom of the diagrams to show/hide shapes and switch between notes/interval view. R button will show you relative major/minor scale (e.g. pentatonic Am highlights  C as relative major scale, same notes, just different tonic/root note). Settings are saved between the visits (if you use same browser).

NOTE: not very mobile friendly so use desktop if possible.
    I hope it is not relevant for you anymore, at least, I hope you progressed well in the meantime  ;-) 
    cheers

edit: demo

• Above all this its imperative you play said scale to some harmony otherwise the notes you play have no value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I've created my own for each scale, Em example below. They show the scale with notes, the scale with the 1 / 3 / 5 emphasized, chords of the scale and common chord progressions. 

Most people look at them in bafflement but they make perfect sense for me. 

http://imgur.com/gallery/a44TlT1
  • machakmachak Frets: 8
    Above all this its imperative you play said scale to some harmony otherwise the notes you play have no value.
    All these words you used have no value for someone that doesn't understand English
  • machak said:
    Above all this its imperative you play said scale to some harmony otherwise the notes you play have no value.
    All these words you used have no value for someone that doesn't understand English
    My English is perfectly good thank you.
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    machak said:
    Agreed. Lestratcaster, you do need to write in other languages if you want people who don’t understand English to understand you.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited August 2018
    viz said:
    machak said:
    Agreed. Lestratcaster, you do need to write in other languages if you want people who don’t understand English to understand you.
    Play it to some music. Does that make more sense. Machak clearly has a basic understanding of English if he's typing it.