slapping

What's Hot
dannyt484dannyt484 Frets: 0
I'm not a massive fan of slapping, although I love Flea's lines, but as I've been playing for a few years now I guess I'd better start adding it to my repertoire - you never know when you might need it. Anybody got any cool ideas on how I should go about starting?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    Stand in front of a mirror, and apply the palm of your hand to the side of your face, hard.

Repeat until you don't want to do it any more.

:)

I'm hardly an expert since I use it as sparingly as possible normally, but I do it using my thumb knuckle, with a sort of fast rotating movement. Don't know if that helps or not...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I learned a thumb up technique but these days people seem to use the thumb down position. I’d probably look for the slap lessons on Scott’s Bass Lessons on YouTube. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    dannyt484 said:
    Anybody got any cool ideas on how I should go about starting?
    Go back to the source.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    One question: why?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Rocker said:
    I presume that is rhetorical. I hope it is.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I love  slapping , I don't care what people say it's a viable technique and  as long as it's used respectfully and not all the time, I use alot of slap not to show off but because my old band required it,  lock in with the drummer and you can carry a song, the way I learned was to treat the bass like a drum. Sounds mad but it works. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6095
    The trick is to use the slap technique to help enhance tone and clarity to help drive the beat. It's a duel edged sword. When used properly it can really help lift a track, but many players push it too far and then it becomes a joke.
    Mark King in the early days. especially on debut Level 42 album used it wonderfully, but later over-egged it so much that you just wanted to slap him. I have to say though that his later playing on the track  'Leaving Me Now' which mixed up the technique with conventional finger style  was sublime:

It sounds great when used subtlety on low B string:

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    I always thought Guy Pratt's slapping in Another Brick in the Wall (at 3:34), was a great feature

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I love slapping, great fun to play (not that I do it very well). Plenty of pointers on YouTube these days.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Rocker said:
    Not at all. I have heard guys doing this in music shops. Sounds sh1te to my ears and totally pointless. What type of music is it required for? 

If it is trying to turn the bass into a lead instrument, forget it. The bass in conjunction with the drums provide the foundation for the song. That job is much too important for messing around with techniques like slapping. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    Not at all. I have heard guys doing this in music shops. Sounds sh1te to my ears and totally pointless. What type of music is it required for? 

If it is trying to turn the bass into a lead instrument, forget it. The bass in conjunction with the drums provide the foundation for the song. That job is much too important for messing around with techniques like slapping. 
    Please explain to me how this doesn't work as a technique.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    dannyt484 said:

Anybody got any cool ideas on how I should go about starting?
    Exercise that thumb...

https://youtu.be/Y5FZwdFkIp0

• As mentioned above... Scotts Bass lessons
    I got started with this one. 

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Don't. Just PLAY the damn thing!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    As with every 'different' technique, if you overdo it or use it in the wrong context it's irritating, but in the right place it's brilliant.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Rocker said:
    What type of music is it required for? 
    Music of Black origin. 

Rocker said:
    Vertical dancing.

poopot said:
    Exercise that thumb.
    Horizontal dancing. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I tend to do the Scott Thunes style of pick and pop rather than slap and pop
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:

Tell that to Tower of power, Level 42 or the Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    all of whom have contributed a hell of a lot more to music than you have
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:

Wasn't sure if a wow or a lol was more appropriate. Any more rules I should know about?

I don't slap because I can't. I sometimes suspect that many who slag the style off are similarly unable to master the technique.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    JezWynd said:
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:

Wasn't sure if a wow or a lol was more appropriate. Any more rules I should know about?

I don't slap because I can't. I sometimes suspect that many who slag the style off are similarly unable to master the technique.
    I don't think it's entirely that.  Most of the time it isn't called for, and you see bass players doing it when they would be much better off playing it straight.

It's a bit like two handed tapping on the guitar.  It's impressive, but I'd far rather listen to Mark Knopfler.  It wouldn't be appropriate in the middle of Sultans either.

In the right place it can sound good, but too many bass players slap because they can - not because it fits the song.

The worst ones are Youtube demos of P basses.  Knowing how it's going to sound chugging out a root note is far more useful than 3 minutes of slapping.