What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Cabicular said:
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    One question: why?
    I presume that is rhetorical. I hope it is.
    Not at all. I have heard guys doing this in music shops. Sounds sh1te to my ears and totally pointless. What type of music is it required for? 

If it is trying to turn the bass into a lead instrument, forget it. The bass in conjunction with the drums provide the foundation for the song. That job is much too important for messing around with techniques like slapping. 
    Tell that to Tower of power, Level 42 or the Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    all of whom have contributed a hell of a lot more to music than you have
    You are only trying to score cheap debating points @Cabicular, you have not explained or answered my post on why?.  Or for that matter you failed to mention a few songs that are enhanced as a result of bass slapping.  And I am not talking about YT demos of basses, I mean real music that has been released on CD.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    JezWynd said:
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    Not at all. I have heard guys doing this in music shops. Sounds sh1te to my ears and totally pointless. What type of music is it required for? 

If it is trying to turn the bass into a lead instrument, forget it. The bass in conjunction with the drums provide the foundation for the song. That job is much too important for messing around with techniques like slapping. 
    Wasn't sure if a wow or a lol was more appropriate. Any more rules I should know about?

I don't slap because I can't. I sometimes suspect that many who slag the style off are similarly unable to master the technique.
    I was taught to slap in the 90s. My technique is ok and it sounds alright. 

In certain contexts its fine. Sadly to my ears and tastes those contexts are Music I don’t like or listen to much at all.

What grinds my gears is you toob idiots inisiting on slapping in every gear demo regardless of the kit or context. THAT is what makes me hate slap. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    Rocker said:
    Cabicular said:
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:

You are only trying to score cheap debating points @Cabicular, you have not explained or answered my post on why?.  Or for that matter you failed to mention a few songs that are enhanced as a result of bass slapping.  And I am not talking about YT demos of basses, I mean real music that has been released on CD.

Surely the large CD back catalogues of the aforementioned Tower of Power, Level 42 and Red Hot Chilli Peppers?
    Kajagoogoo? Stanley Clarke? Stanley Clarke on a Paul McCartney record ( I forget which)? Sly and the Family Stone?* Primus? Faith No More? Gang of Four?I've heard it on Sly and Robbie songs, on Steely Dan ( Peg ) and we've had Pink Floyd and Abba referenced above using slap. There must be somebody in that lot you've heard

It isn't necessarily about trying to solo on bass (not that there's anything wrong with that, as Jerry Seinfeld might have said), a lot of slap is bouncing around the E string and providing strong bass lines. There aren't many players that use it all the time, it's just in the vocabulary. Earlier today I used the word echolalia. I don't use it every day but it was pleasing to have exactly the right word in a particular context. 

* First artists to use slap on a record ( apparently ) on their track Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Rocker said:
    Cabicular said:
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:

You are only trying to score cheap debating points @Cabicular, you have not explained or answered my post on why?.  Or for that matter you failed to mention a few songs that are enhanced as a result of bass slapping.  And I am not talking about YT demos of basses, I mean real music that has been released on CD

All of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers back catalogue
    want examples?
    Tell me Baby
    Aeroplane
    Higher Ground

Anything by Level 42
    Runs in the family
    Hot Water

Sly and the Familty Stone
    everyday people

Faith no More
    We care a lot
    Epic

Jamoriqaui
    Cosmic Girl

there are tons

Im not scoring cheap points
    Yiu are making outrageous sweeping statements that just pretty much Ignore all funk based music

I might as well say ‘what do you need strumming for, all good music is done with downstrokes’

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Rocker said:
    Cabicular said:
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:

Surely the large CD back catalogues of the aforementioned Tower of Power, Level 42 and Red Hot Chilli Peppers?
    Kajagoogoo? Stanley Clarke? Stanley Clarke on a Paul McCartney record ( I forget which)? Sly and the Family Stone?* Primus? Faith No More? Gang of Four?I've heard it on Sly and Robbie songs, on Steely Dan ( Peg ) and we've had Pink Floyd and Abba referenced above using slap. There must be somebody in that lot you've heard

It isn't necessarily about trying to solo on bass (not that there's anything wrong with that, as Jerry Seinfeld might have said), a lot of slap is bouncing around the E string and providing strong bass lines. There aren't many players that use it all the time, it's just in the vocabulary. Earlier today I used the word echolalia. I don't use it every day but it was pleasing to have exactly the right word in a particular context. 

* First artists to use slap on a record ( apparently ) on their track Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin). 
    Sly and The Family Stone - If You Want Me To Stay features a lovely Larry Graham “pop”. For that reason alone, slap bass can’t be placed into Room 101.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I’ve been playing SlapBass Hero on the PlayStation tonight as it turns out 

I got to Level 42 

(gratuitously nicked from my bass player ) 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    exocet said:
    Rocker said:
    Cabicular said:
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:

Sly and The Family Stone - If You Want Me To Stay features a lovely Larry Graham “pop”. For that reason alone, slap bass can’t be placed into Room 101.
    The current Family Stone don’t have many original members ( no Sly for a start) but they were rather good when I saw them live a couple of years ago. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Like anything you can overuse it ... I think it's most effective if it's done over really straight drums so the percussion side of it doesn't fight against the drums but adds to it ... like bongos  

It can get to the point though where the gear and sound is so geared towards the top end reproduction of the slap that you need the bass reinforced by the keyboards to stop things sounding thin, essentially you need a bass player :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    Old school slap on a p bass is a lovely tone! Gets a bit shit when people insist on using the happy face EQing.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    What grinds my gears is you toob idiots inisiting on slapping in every gear demo regardless of the kit or context. 
    Understandable.

I would file that sort of behaviour under over-playing. Attention seekers, too interested in getting themselves noticed individually to remember to play as part of a band and in the furtherance of the music.

Cabicular said:
    I tend to do the Scott Thunes style of pick and pop rather than slap and pop
    Bonus points for knowing ST's name. 

Cabicular said:
    I might as well say ‘what do you need strumming for, all good music is done with downstrokes’

Be seeing you.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Lots of people hate it... and lots of musicians abuse it ergo lots of people find it unbearable. I think it's a supreme resource. Listen to Morse Trio, that lad falls back on it only from time to time and when he does he just blows you away. I've even had a go at G. Govan's video on slap... blimey, how massively supreme! I wish I'd been able to learn a tiny 1% from it.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    PhilKing said:
    I always thought Guy Pratt's slapping in Another Brick in the Wall (at 3:34), was a great feature

Sorry, but I've always thought that's sounds crap. Throw in as well his completely ill-judged slapping on Shine On which proves the Guy really is a Pratt. Funny how, come the 94 tour, he'd reined in a lot of the clanky slappy 80s nonsense...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Seems I inadvertently stepped on a few toes with my comments on slapping. 

I don't listen to funk, very little indie and a lot of the bands mentioned are unknown to me. But I heard enough slapped bass in music shops to have formed an aversion to it.

My mantra is keep it simple and serve the song. Not make an exhibition of whatever little playing skills I might have. Lock into the drums and support the vocalist and keep on doin’ it. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Rocker said:
    Seems I inadvertently stepped on a few toes with my comments on slapping. 

I don't listen to funk, very little indie and a lot of the bands mentioned are unknown to me. But I heard enough slapped bass in music shops to have formed an aversion to it.

My mantra is keep it simple and serve the song. Not make an exhibition of whatever little playing skills I might have. Lock into the drums and support the vocalist and keep on doin’ it. 
    I think you need to separate slap as a musically useful technique which can really lift the bass part in the right context, from slap as played badly, inappropriately and too much by people showing off in music shops...

I don't use it much, or in fact at all with my current band - because its not appropriate for the music we play. I do use a fuzz pedal, which some people may also object to - especially as fuzz bass played on its own can also be quite annoying.

Take forced/pinched harmonics on a guitar as another good example. There's nothing worse than that awful squealing noise when it's not needed or right for the song. And then there's No Doubt's 'Spiderwebs', which has forced harmonics *all the way through* and is pure genius. (And contains some fairly subtle slapped bass, which doesn't dominate the song but does enhance the bass part...)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881

Ahh, ye olde "present opinion as fact and then claim not to understand" Rocker trolling technique appears once again. Its tiresome, but you can't deny he's effective at it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I used to be a plectrum only guy, but have been using fingers only as much as I can these days after a few years of doing both. Not sure if it's the arthritis or CTS (I have both), but I cramp up during the first song on plectrum these days.

Anyway, back to the point. I could end up slapping and popping yet.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Currently listening to Radio Free Albemuth by Stu Hamm.  It's pretty cool, with lots of slapping.  
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/