Getting old, going deaf and ear plugs!

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
Morning peeps,

It’s that time in life where I’m beginning to think “that’s just too loud”.

had a gig last night, weird acoustics in the room, we weren’t overly loud... however, ears are ringing like a bugger today and having trouble hearing, I know it’ll remedy itself by the end of today but I’m thinking enough is enough now.

so before I go compleatly deaf... can anyone recommend decent ear plugs?... what do you use? (if any) pros? Cons?... I’ve seen the specsavers ad with the old ska band and the hearing aids, is that the way forward?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited March 2018
    Gotta be worth a try. 

I had some from Amazon but they're not specially shaped for my lugholes. They do the trick though.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Custom moduled ones from ACS. Mine are the older ER range but look at the Pro range. About £130 ish last time I looked but your hearing is worth protecting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2467
    I’d love to find decent ones too, the fact I sing as well makes it harder as I still want/need to hear everything.. just quieter. 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    This is a topic that is raised quite often, so it's not just you! I use ACS Pro 17's and they work really well. Pros - custom moulded to your own ear shapes, filter can be changed to different strength if it doesn't suit. Cons - cost around £140 (depending on options), some people say they trim off some frequencies (although I've not noticed in a loud band session). Hope the ringing subsides quickly!
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    almost every gig I go to is far too loud these days, some venues advise to bring ear plugs, so what's the point in going????
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    I just got some ACS custom molded plugs at the guitar show for the same reason, yet to try them out properly, but the set I got are meant to have a flat(ish) response
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I just got some ACS custom molded plugs at the guitar show for the same reason, yet to try them out properly, but the set I got are meant to have a flat(ish) response
    I’m actually holding you fully responsible!... who said a 5e3 is “not loud enough”? :)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Cheers chaps... looks like acs is the way to go...

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

I switched to IEM's a long time ago. Everything's a lot quieter, you can hear the actual detail in your playing (and other band members) Doesn't cost a fortune these days

I've had mixed experiences at big gigs, I thought ZZ Top were too quiet at the Apollo  but have been deafened by Green Day at the same venue .... it's all about who's running the PA I guess 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    I use ACS as well, we have a smallish brass section at the orchestra and generally I am sat right in front of them (they kinda blow/sound into my right ear) so I generally just use them in one ear so I can still hear myself and everything else. Depending on how many turn up it actually gets painful when they let rip, .

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Invest in some molded earplugs, I got some from ultimate ear about 5 years ago and still use them all the time. Completely flat EQ and super comfortable - I often sleep in them. I imagine they're very similar to ACS, similar price which seems like a lot but you only get one pair of ears!

I got given some decent Read Audio non molded ones that I keep on my keys too so I never forget, saved me a load of headaches at gigs
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    ACS Pros are OK... I have 10’s and 17’s. They dump too much treble for my liking and leave me feeling a bit bunged up. I’d recommend the Read Audio molds as a far better option.

http://www.read-audio.com/

I have the 15dB plugs and IEM’s and they’re both superb.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited March 2018
    If you do decide to go ACS, have a look at the Musicians Hearing Scheme... you can get subsidised ACS plugs for about 40 quid if you qualify.

https://www.hearformusicians.org.uk/
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    Hi mate, 

I was really struggling with this at one point. i've had tinnitus since i was about 19.. and over time my ears have lost the ability to block out sounds at certain frequencies. Some things are really piercing. 

If you go through your GP, you can get referred to the ENT clinic. If you tell them your concerns about being exposed to loud volumes on a regular basis they'll fit you up with a set of moulded noise filters.

It's the only thing that's worked for me. the plugs you buy off the shelf are garbage.. and a good moulded set will cost you through the nose privately (from what i remember). If you go through the NHS the cost is subsidized so you get them much cheaper. 

This was a few years ago mind.. hopefully the Tories haven't put a stop to it in order to recoup some funds for their subsidized bars and restaurants in Westminster, ha! 

Worth a look into though brother!  =)
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Go for plugs moulded to fit your ears, and which attenuate all frequencies equally. I did (a bit late, I fear) but they really do help and I trust that my hearing won't get worse. Price approx £180 IIRC.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26985
    Massive +1 for moulds. I have been very happy with my ACS 17's, though I'll need new moulds doing next time I'm gigging as one ear doesn't quite seal any more.

Looking after your hearing is cheaper than your average flavour-of-the-week dirt pedal - it's a no brainer. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849
    I've been using the over the counter type of plugs for about 15 years, since I started to notice I was struggling to hear higher pitched voices in busy pubs. Also used them when I've been to watch bands. 
    Not noticed any further deterioration, but they do mess with certain frequencies. 
    Ordered some custom for ones from ACS at the guitar show. They arrived early this week. Took them out with me on Thursday to watch a gig at the Ruby Lounge. Not the best test as the volume wasn't ridiculous but I can say the sound quality was very good. Will need to see how it works when I'm playing with the band but so far, all positive. 
    Pros - fit so good you forget they are in. Frequency response appears level. 
    Cons - £130, nothing else
    But the over the counter jobs are about 20 quid a throw. 
    Ultimately, what price your hearing. 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31588
    Do they really attenuate all frequencies equally? I'd like to see some figures for that tbh. 

I know custom moulded plugs are meant to be excellent, the last off the shelf ones I tried sounded exactly like plugging in my wireless system and playing guitar from the pub bog with the door shut. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    edited March 2018
    Moulded ear plugs are a no brainier. The cost is far less than your first hearing aid will be. I have a couple of pairs, and use them on trains and ‘planes, in the workshop, and at gigs. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Been using the ACS Pro 17's for 5 years now, custom moulded to my ears. They're great at reducing the overall volume whilst still allowing you to hear all the frequencies. I never go to a gig/rehearsal without them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom