What is this Score Mark

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Would anyone have any idea what this line that seems to be scored in the side of my guitar's neck?

It doesn't seem to be where the fingerboard is attached to the neck, it's slightly above that on the fretboard.

Also, there seems to be a similar score around the same area on the nut.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I swear to God I didn't touch it!
    ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've seen rosewood have marks like that before.
    What make is the guitar?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Alnico said:
    I've seen rosewood have marks like that before.
    What make is the guitar?
    Gibson

Just to clarify, the half-inch mark right above the 2nd fret I believe is just a natural indentation in the wood grain. When I was playing it in the shop I noticed it immediately and wondered if it'd bother me for the rest of the guitar's life but since it was the only one they had in stock I decided just to take it anyway and live with it.

The mark I'm enquiring about runs right down from the nut to at least the 4th or 5th fret then lessens and it's a thin line score such as could be made with a Stanley blade.
    Ah sorry, I was looking at the one by the second fret.
    I can see what you mean now.

It looks like it's an imperfection in the wood that's made it past QC.
    It's probably been like that since it was a blank.
    Alnico said:

Any idea if it's something that can be fixed with a bit of sanding or something?
    edited March 2018
    thegummy said:
    Alnico said:

Any idea if it's something that can be fixed with a bit of sanding or something?
    I'd say it depends how deep it is.

If you haven't checked your nut height and you find it needs doing (On a brand new guitar it probably will need it) then while a tech is recutting your nut, ask him if he can affect a repair on that.
    It might be able to be filled with rosewood dust and sanded yes but I would guess that the person who does it needs to have done it before and knows how to do it properly.

The short answer is yes I reckon it could be repaired by a skilled luthier/tech.

Alnico said:
    thegummy said:
    Alnico said:

I'd say it depends how deep it is.

If you haven't checked your nut height and you find it needs doing (On a brand new guitar it probably will need it) then while a tech is recutting your nut, ask him if he can affect a repair on that.
    It might be able to be filled with rosewood dust and sanded yes but I would guess that the person who does it needs to have done it before and knows how to do it properly.

The short answer is yes I reckon it could be repaired by a skilled luthier/tech.

Cool thanks.

The nut did need lowered but I actually filed it down myself.

So you think it might be a natural crack in the wood itself?

The fact that there seems to be a score on the nut that lines up with it makes me wonder if it was scratched by a tool or surface after the guitar had been assembled.

I've mentioned in other threads that I'm struggling somewhat to get on with the shape and feel of a Les Paul in general but that's purely personal. This score mark and the more obvious indentation at the 2nd fret are probably the main reasons I feel the quality of it isn't as good as my PRS SE which doesn't have anything like this. It does have an opaque glossy finish on the neck though - I'm not sure if things like this could be hidden by that kind of finish but is exposed on the light transparent coat on the LP.
    I wouldn't say it's a crack in the wood although I'm nowhere near qualified to say anything really.
    If it looks like a score mark it probably is and what I meant is that Gibson aren't known for being ultra picky with QC so it's likely been done as the neck has been made, maybe with tooling etc and if it's been noticed it's been "That'll do".

The comparison with the quality of PRS is night and day really and you're right.

The mark should be fixable and if that's your bag then off you go.
    If it's not though, speak to someone professional about a cosmetic repair.
    The real pros would make it look invisible if it's possible to.
    Alnico said:
    I wouldn't say it's a crack in the wood although I'm nowhere near qualified to say anything really.
    If it looks like a score mark it probably is and what I meant is that Gibson aren't known for being ultra picky with QC so it's likely been done as the neck has been made, maybe with tooling etc and if it's been noticed it's been "That'll do".

The comparison with the quality of PRS is night and day really and you're right.

The mark should be fixable and if that's your bag then off you go.
    If it's not though, speak to someone professional about a cosmetic repair.
    The real pros would make it look invisible if it's possible to.
    It's nice to know you think it's something that can be fixed by someone capable if I needed it. I don't think I'll be attempting anything myself, the nut filing is as far as I'd go.

Have to admit to feeling a bit saddened by the QC; it might be one of Gibson's cheapest guitars but it's not exactly in a budget price range. Only got myself to blame mind you, it's not as if I had no warning about their quality problems! I did even play it in the shop but I never find that short time enough to really get a proper idea of the guitar and I think the fact it was the only one in stock and there was no other LP model that I liked the look of that I could realistically afford made me feel it was either take that one or don't have a Les Paul.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    That line, to me looks more like the line you would get if you were masking off for finishing. The fact that it involves the nut and appears straight suggests an intentioned mark rather than damage.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Yes it looks like a ridge where the sides of the fretboard were masked off before back of the neck was sprayed. Even if a top coat is sprayed over the neck including the sides of the board, a line will remain where the finish thicknesses are different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
    It could also be a mark from the machining of the fret ends that hasn't been sanded out before finishing. The bigger mark by the second fret looks like grain tear-out from cutting the fingerboard that's too deep to have been sanded away when the neck was made.

There's some rather non-straight grain in that neck too! Luckily it's in roughly the direction that strengthens the headstock a bit, rather than the other way round which I've seen too. It does probably weaken the neck significantly around the second fret though.

All sadly typical of Gibson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Going back to this issue, I think SteveRobinson is right and that it's a layer of finish from the back of the neck that comes over where the fretboard joins the neck and then ends abruptly causing a ridge.

Would I be able to sand that down to be smooth without ruining it?

If so, what grade of sandpaper would I use for that?
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited April 2018
    http://collections.nmmusd.org/PluckedStrings/Guitars/Gibson/10867/10867GibsonSJguitarsloganonhead.jpg
    On a serious note, I would just ask your tech to do it the next time you take it for a setup - They will probably charge nothing to do it for you (or the ones I use wouldn't).
    Schnozz said:

On a serious note, I would just ask your tech to do it the next time you take it for a setup - They will probably charge nothing to do it for you (or the ones I use wouldn't).
    I do my own set ups but have never sanded a neck.

Re: the image - it is indeed terrible that one of the most expensive manufacturers, possibly the most expensive of the "household names" puts out this kind of quality. It might be one of their cheapest models but it's still a lot of money to have that kind of issue.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    thegummy said:
    Schnozz said:

I do my own set ups but have never sanded a neck.

Re: the image - it is indeed terrible that one of the most expensive manufacturers, possibly the most expensive of the "household names" puts out this kind of quality. It might be one of their cheapest models but it's still a lot of money to have that kind of issue.
    Agreed - I've had a few cheap Corts now (sub £300) and the most they've needed is a fret polish, whereas it wasn't the case with my Masterbuilt Charvel and Fender AVRIs. If you like their pickups then PRS get it right, but they want an extortionate amount of money - Unfortunately Musicman and Yamaha have now followed suit.