Lightweight good quality Bass for £200/£300

dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
Hi

I owned a squire VM Jazz bass and although it looked and felt great it was really heavy!

Are all like this or do you have to hunt the right one down?

I have played some  (squire affinity) They vary in weight but i like the no finish on the neck. The only bad thing about the bass is the electronics are rubbish and don't last long. The crackle and cut out. 

The other basses i have looked at are Ibanez Talman TMB100

Any thoughts?

Id rather not modify anything. Just want a OK bass that does roots, jazz, blues, rock and funk styles well. 

Thinking about a Fender Rumble 15 amp to go with it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You could maybe take a look at the short scale range from Squire. The Vintage Modified Jaguar Short Scale is a bloody lovely bass.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    I owned a squier VM Jazz bass and although it looked and felt great it was really heavy! 
    Which exact variant? There are two with the Seventies style cosmetics, a Sixties-looking one, a fretless, the Deluxe Active and the Mark Hoppus signature model with a Precision pickup.

I have experienced agathis examples that were heavier than an American Standard. I own a VM Precision Bass and an old MIJ Silver Series that weigh very little. 

squier affinity vary in weight but i like the no finish on the neck. The only bad thing about the bass is the electronics are rubbish and don't last long. The crackle and cut out. 
    The Affinity series displays clear signs of cost cutting.

My personal definition of *the right one* involves it having the Duncan Designed JB-101 pickups rather than the more recent Squier own brand ones. 
    Be seeing you.
  • I owned a squier VM Jazz bass and although it looked and felt great it was really heavy! 
    Which exact variant? There are two with the Seventies style cosmetics, a Sixties-looking one, a fretless, the Deluxe Active and the Mark Hoppus signature model with a Precision pickup.

I have experienced agathis examples that were heavier than an American Standard. I own a VM Precision Bass and an old MIJ Silver Series that weigh very little. 

squier affinity vary in weight but i like the no finish on the neck. The only bad thing about the bass is the electronics are rubbish and don't last long. The crackle and cut out. 
    The Affinity series displays clear signs of cost cutting.

My personal definition of *the right one* involves it having the Duncan Designed JB-101 pickups rather than the more recent Squier own brand ones. 
    Thanks so much. It’s was the 60’s one 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    edited April 2018
    The VM Jazz (or at least one of the models) has a maple body, which I suspect would be heavy. The Classic Vibes have basswood bodies which I'm guessing would be lighter in general. I have a CV Jazz and it's roughly the same weight as an alder-bodied MIM I had (I didn't weigh them, but holding one in each hand I couldn't tell a difference).
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Cort Curbow :-)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Cort Curbow :-)
    Fugly and blighted by a pickup shape that does not lend itself to convenient drop-in replacement of industry standard designs.

I love *proper* Bartolini pickups. Those MK Series O.E.M. ones used in Cort instruments are embarrassingly bland. 
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    On the Cambridge cartel curry and man shopping day out recently I tried a few super cheap Ibanez basses for @darthed1981 ;

There was one in particular for about £200 which was light, punchy, lots of tonal variation, and easy to play. I’d have gigged with it any night of the week.
  • thanks! 

Which one?

Bridgehouse said:
    On the Cambridge cartel curry and man shopping day out recently I tried a few super cheap Ibanez basses for @darthed1981 ;

There was one in particular for about £200 which was light, punchy, lots of tonal variation, and easy to play. I’d have gigged with it any night of the week.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    thanks! 

Which one?

Bridgehouse said:

I believe it was an https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/gsr200-bass-guitar-black
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Is there a chart somewhere to compare weights of basses?