SteveF's Pedal Building Journey

What's Hot

Comments

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    And... We're done! :mrgreen: 

A brief moment of panic when it didn't work, but a quick check revealed that I hadn't wired the circuit to the 9V input! D'oh! 

Quite fiddly getting it all in neatly, so it isn't, particularly! :lol:  But it's done, it works and it sounds great.   @Philtre I actually noticed the difference on the clipping switch a lot more once I plugged it into my HT5R. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Looks great! Well done!

BTW - I find the washer on the mini jack switches way too big, and it has a little tab on it (which I break off).
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Great work @SteveF the finished product looks great.
    It's particularly interesting for me because I decided to have a go at building my own pedal and so bought a Timmy kit about a year ago - it's currently only half soldered (and I have no enclosure yet!) but your and @Philtre 's threads have inspired me to have a go at finishing it and ordering some extra bits to make some more afterwards :-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    Great work @SteveF the finished product looks great.
    It's particularly interesting for me because I decided to have a go at building my own pedal and so bought a Timmy kit about a year ago - it's currently only half soldered (and I have no enclosure yet!) but your and @Philtre 's threads have inspired me to have a go at finishing it and ordering some extra bits to make some more afterwards :-)
    Great stuff, have a go - you know you want to! :) 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    SteveF said:
    And... We're done! :mrgreen: 

A brief moment of panic when it didn't work, but a quick check revealed that I hadn't wired the circuit to the 9V input! D'oh! 

Quite fiddly getting it all in neatly, so it isn't, particularly! :lol:  But it's done, it works and it sounds great.   @Philtre I actually noticed the difference on the clipping switch a lot more once I plugged it into my HT5R. 

Looking good there! What sort of printer do you use?
    Just a bog standard HP inkjet photo printer. HP Envy somethingorother. It was set to its best setting and it’s just printed on sticky backed glossy paper. 
    Cheers, your print quality looks really good! I've got an old HP deskjet and had problems with lines ii some colours, most noticable with white labels. Time to invest in a new printer I think.
    Octafish said:
    Cheers, your print quality looks really good! I've got an old HP deskjet and had problems with lines ii some colours, most noticable with white labels. Time to invest in a new printer I think.
    Do those lines appear when you print on highest quality. I have a brand new Canon inkjet and this happens.
    Philtre said:
    Octafish said:
    Do those lines appear when you print on highest quality. I have a brand new Canon inkjet and this happens.
    Yes, I tried it on high quality general use setting, then tried highest quality photo printing option. Both had the issue. It doesn't seem to show up on the transparent vinyl.
    @SteveF Tayda have got a new discount coupon on until 22nd April - 15VOLTS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ooh, been busy so nearly forgot about this.  Order in :) 
    SteveF said:
    Ooh, been busy so nearly forgot about this.  Order in :) 
    Come on, man! We're all waiting for your next pedal build! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Still got to finish off the SHO and Eternity Burst yet. I find the bottleneck is the artwork and drilling. I’ll get the artwork for both done and then have a go at ETing them :)
    Yep, agree about the bottleneck. Soldering up a board can be done relatively quickly.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I really need to get my finger out and finish some as well.  I think I have 9 or 10 in various stages of completion.  I’ve been way too busy with work for the last few months.  
    I'm going back to some of my early builds and giving them a makeover. My Fuzz Factory was given new decal and ET. Now working on my Lunar Module Deluxe with new artwork, ET and new knobs.
    Philtre said:
    I'm going back to some of my early builds and giving them a makeover. My Fuzz Factory was given new decal and ET. Now working on my Lunar Module Deluxe with new artwork, ET and new knobs.
    After I’d been building for a few years I did that too though I didn’t really touch the outsides.  

I mostly tidied up the horror show wiring from my early builds, replaced a few parts to lower the noise and switched out the cheapo Taiwan blue 3pdts for optical switching.  
    Adam_MD said:
    Philtre said:
    After I’d been building for a few years I did that too though I didn’t really touch the outsides.  

I mostly tidied up the horror show wiring from my early builds, replaced a few parts to lower the noise and switched out the cheapo Taiwan blue 3pdts for optical switching.  
    Isn't that like giving an old chopping axe a new head and a new handle? :)
    Philtre said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Philtre said:

Isn't that like giving an old chopping axe a new head and a new handle? :)

At least I reused the old enclosures and didn’t waste time refinishing them.  

Circuit wise the main thing I changed was the tayda ceramic caps they really were terrible the difference in not just sound but noise was immediately apparent.  The 3pdts I had used early on were also seriously temperamental so it made sense to go just for optical switching and never have to worry about them again.

Oh and like I said I tidied up the wiring.  As long as it worked I didn’t care how bad the wiring was when I started.