Line 6 powercab

What's Hot

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Personally if need that facility i think I'd rather just plug into a power amp in on a valve combo 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    I still need FRFR but desire the option of the amp-in-room feel too. So a tube combo won’t deliver that. I very much exist in the gap in the market Line 6 designed the PowerCab product for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    Is this essentially a powered PA speaker with built in cabinet modelling? Just trying to understand what it actually is. It's not a guitar 1x12 with a ss power amp is it?
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    As I understand it, it is a powered FR speaker.  The modelling is speaker modelling (as opposed to cabinet modelling). From what I gather, you could use your e.g. Helix with your usual patch with your usual amp/cab models, or you can turn the cab modelling off on the helix and use the power cab's onboard speaker modelling. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Is this essentially a powered PA speaker with built in cabinet modelling? Just trying to understand what it actually is. It's not a guitar 1x12 with a ss power amp is it?
    You can use it as a FRFR speaker, or in modelling mode with the cab modelling turned off in your modeller to give you the sound of a normal 1x12 cab with a choice of speakers, if it's a success I would expect a 2x12 or maybe even a 4x12 to follow.  Suppose its to pacify all the people who say 'it just doesn't sound like an amp in the room'. I suppose we'll see, I hope so.

mr-mac said:
    Personally if need that facility i think I'd rather just plug into a power amp in on a valve combo 
    Then you're stuck with whatever speaker is in your cab.  If it really works as advertised I think it'll be great
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    £665 preorder for the plus at GAK compared to £718 almost everywhere else. Couldn’t resist...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    £665 isn’t bad to be fair. 
    John_A said:
    You can use it as a FRFR speaker, or in modelling mode with the cab modelling turned off in your modeller to give you the sound of a normal 1x12 cab with a choice of speakers, if it's a success I would expect a 2x12 or maybe even a 4x12 to follow.  Suppose its to pacify all the people who say 'it just doesn't sound like an amp in the room'. I suppose we'll see, I hope so.
    But how is this miracle achieved? ;)

Sounds like it is a kind of hybrid 12" speaker that's a bit of a cross between a PA speaker and traditional guitar cab speaker...
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    Surely the speaker itself is FR and when it models a guitar speaker it just narrows the frequency response using high/low pass filters and presumably adds some other EQ changes in there to mimic the response of the modelled guitar speakers. (Which I’m sure is far more complex than I’ve just put it and they’ve spent a huge amount of time modelling each aspect of the speakers they have chosen) 
    You'd think they would need a tweeter too though, no? Surely a single 12" FRFR would be a bit flubby?
    ...checked the specs. It has a 1" 'compression driver' as well as the 12" speaker.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    I wonder if this will get extended to a 2x12 option, so you can do different combinations, or if they'll aim for selling you two separate cabs.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    John_A said:

mr-mac said:
    Then you're stuck with whatever speaker is in your cab.  If it really works as advertised I think it'll be great
    Yep but once you find what ya like... And if can havr an ir that matches it for your modellers output to PA then works quite well.  Yeah i know there will be reasons for some people you will want the speaker modelling too changing with patch but for me its not be all and end all yet 
    ^ see where you're coming from, but for me I would also have the option of running it flat for synths or acoustic which would sound awful through a normal cab.  It really does depend how good it sounds though, looking forward to trying one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    https://celestion.com/product/200/f12x200/

I suspect more cabs will follow from other manufacturers.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Ahhh...

Is that what's in the Line 6 unit?
    @simonk thanks for the heads up - ordered mine with GAK too. Look forward to posting a NAD when it arrives.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6794

Ahhh...

So it’s a not flat full range (NFFR?) there’s a 10 dB hump at 2kHz.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:

Ahhh...

So it’s a not flat full range (NFFR?) there’s a 10 dB hump at 2kHz.

Taken from Line6 product description:

What’s the reference speaker used?

Powercab features a custom designed 8Ω, 12" coaxial speaker that uses a guitar-style cone as opposed to a PA-style cone with a 2” high-temperature voice coil loosely based on the Eminence Beta 12CX format. The 1” compression driver is a Celestion CDX 1-1010, which is used only for Flat mode, monitor feeds, and user IR modes; it’s not utilized at all for speaker models.