Metallica and the Missing 32nd Note in Master of Puppets

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2602
edited April 2018 in Theory tFB Trader

Im a by ear player so only understood parts of this.. But you guys who hang in this section may get it more

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    Huh. I was just listening to Puppets last night and thinking about this, and you can pretty much just count 1-2-3-4 1-2-3 and it's fine. It's somewhere between a dragged 5/8 and a rushed 6/8, but as long as you get that, and the people you're playing with get it, it doesn't matter too much. There's just that weird not-quite-a-pause between slides. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when they were writing/recording that riff!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting video.  B)  I was thinking about this album last week, after remembering it was the only tape I kept in my first car and listened to it over and over.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    That guy has an excellent voice for radio. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I'm working on this (my first foray into metal and by far the fastest song I've tried to date) and find the timing really interesting and complicated to get right. I seem to somehow take leaps with sections and steps back with parts I had managed to just about crack at full speed. Instead of getting pissed off with it though, I'm actually finding it a really enjoyable song to plug away with while I'm learning other stuff from my lessons.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    edited April 2018
    Puppets was one of the first songs I ever learned, back in my teenage years. I basically taught myself the whole album by ear and that was my education. 
    I've never once thought about what time signature that section is, I just know how it feels and that's how I play it. I don't know theory and can't read music but somehow I've managed just fine on ear and feel alone. And the occasional tab
    Master! MASTER!
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Just watched it, interesting wee video that. The transcription I bought on Musicroom describes that 5/8 or 6/8 section as "rushed" and it sort of makes sense to me like that. I just wish I could crack the earlier fast section on the E and A strings a bit more... so close then I go to pieces.