Quick improv with Digitech Drop

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
edited April 2018 in Making Music

I had originally planned this to be for May's Raw ROTM but it's too long.  I figured that I'd upload anyway as I was pretty pleased with the result.  I used the Digitech Drop pedal to pitch my guitar down 5 semi tones.  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    edited April 2018
    Nice.

Doesn't sound too warbly with the pitch shifting. What was the latency like? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Nice.

Doesn't sound too warbly with the pitch shifting. What was the latency like? 
    I couldn't notice any when tuned down this far.  I will record something with the metronome audible to see if there is any latency that I'm not picking up on, but maybe others are.  
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    Be interesting to hear how accurate it is.

I used to own Whammy 4 which had ridiculous latency. Fine for RATM stuff but you couldn't use it to down tune.

I now have an EHX pitchfork which is much better but still lags a bit at higher intervals with 100% wet. I only tend to use it for Eb or drop C.
    Be interesting to hear how accurate it is.

I used to own Whammy 4 which had ridiculous latency. Fine for RATM stuff but you couldn't use it to down tune.

I now have an EHX pitchfork which is much better but still lags a bit at higher intervals with 100% wet. I only tend to use it for Eb or drop C.
    Eb is definitely OK.  Down a whole step is fine from what I remember.   
  • horsehorse Frets: 1577
    Sounds good. When you say a fifth - as in 5 whole tones? If so that is impressive. Reminded me a little of an album I've not played in a while

horse said:
    Sounds good. When you say a fifth - as in 5 whole tones? If so that is impressive. Reminded me a little of an album I've not played in a while

Sorry mate - 5 semi tones!!!!   
  • horsehorse Frets: 1577
    Still sounds very natural for that amount of shift
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    horse said:
    Still sounds very natural for that amount of shift

Yeah it's an amazing pedal.  The only thing is that if you're playing at low volume you hear the sound of your strings in standard tuning and then the dropped tuning coming out of the amp and there is a big clash in frequencies!  I always put on my headphones which isolate any of my normal string noise. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I like this a lot - would love to hear that melody as a fuller song with maybe some ethereal reverby stuff going on in the background
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    joetele said:
    I like this a lot - would love to hear that melody as a fuller song with maybe some ethereal reverby stuff going on in the background
    Thanks for the compliment.  

I have had that idea kicking around for a while and you’re right, I really must progress it further! Sometimes it’s hard to know where to take an idea.  
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    You could always do a background wash with some reverbs and loop that, play your melody here over the top, and maybe add some higher-pitched melodies over the top or something? I tend to use loops for coming up with these sorts of ideas, then record them properly onto multitrack when that idea turns into something. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    joetele said:
    You could always do a background wash with some reverbs and loop that, play your melody here over the top, and maybe add some higher-pitched melodies over the top or something? I tend to use loops for coming up with these sorts of ideas, then record them properly onto multitrack when that idea turns into something. 

Possibly, I have a few thoughts.  I will see if I can get anything recorded over the weekend.