NAD: So...I bought a MESA!

What's Hot
blobbblobb Frets: 2914
edited April 2018 in Amps

Not something I ever thought I would do. Have been looking for a nice combo and an Express 5:50 came up, I had some store credit so why not eh?

First impressions, really good. I've no desire to play mettalica chugga chugga and this is a lovely thing. Love the response and so versatile. Can see there is some love on here for these amps and I can see why.

I was thinking I might go for something Orange flavoured but this took me completely by surprise. The Rainbow pickups in the old Manson truly sing. Just goes to show, don't get too tied into thinking a certain manufacturer will have a defined sound that doesn't suit you. This is an excellent amplifier and I need that right now to get me playing again after being a bit sidelined with my old war wound.

Viva electricity, viva guitar playing, bring it on.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Nice. I think Mesa's sometimes get pigeon holed unfairly, pretty much every one i've played has been very versatile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    Not many gigs you couldn't pull off with that amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Nice one, I have the Express Plus 5:25 and like it a lot. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    The Express is a fine sounding amp, congrats.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    Loved my 5:50 212. It killed my back tho so sadly it had to go. Cleans and reverb were trully excellent.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Ive got an MK5 V25 head - and its very versatile - far from a one trick metal pony  - cleans  to brutalz .. 

enjoy yours - difficult to get a poor sound imho    
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I know someone who plays jazz through one. Very nice sounding and versatile amp. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    ... apparently came from an old jazzer.

It really shines at the old Johnny Marr jangle, been a while since I trod that ground. Breaks up lovely too. I haven't even thought about pedals yet, which is unusual for me.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Congrats mate !

The Express is a superb amp, and something of a ‘sleeper’.

One interesting thing to try is to use the ‘clean’ channel for yur drive sounds, and the ‘drive’ channel for your cleans. Try it :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    Congrats. The Express is a great amp - love mine.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929

Not sure if it's the same on the older Express but on my Express+ 5/25 I love the Blues voicing on Channel 2, it sounds like the Channel 1 Clean voicing with an overdrive pedal added.

Also, the Crunch on Channel 1 is a bit Marshally and harder sounding and hints at Plexi which sounds great with a Les Paul.

I have toyed with changing out the Vintage 30 speaker for a Creamback M65 as the highs are definitely a little sharper that I like if not reigned in a bit.

Anyone have any thoughts on putting a Creamback in?

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    So far I can't get a bad sound out of any combination of any channel. I certainly can't pick a favourite. I think the Rainbow pickups help. I put my Musician in for a set up so looking forward to getting that back in action, a guitar with infinite sounds into an amp with infinite sounds...hmmm....
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108

Not sure if it's the same on the older Express but on my Express+ 5/25 I love the Blues voicing on Channel 2, it sounds like the Channel 1 Clean voicing with an overdrive pedal added.

Also, the Crunch on Channel 1 is a bit Marshally and harder sounding and hints at Plexi which sounds great with a Les Paul.

I have toyed with changing out the Vintage 30 speaker for a Creamback M65 as the highs are definitely a little sharper that I like if not reigned in a bit.

Anyone have any thoughts on putting a Creamback in?

I put a WGS-ET65 into mine and it did tame the V30 bark a bit, sounds even better now.