Pro Co Rat?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
edited April 2018 in FX
I have never owned or heard a Pro Co Rat pedal in action, what are they all about? They seem to have good rep, but what is so good (or bad) about them?
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    I like that they tend to sound like the good bits of the 90s :) and work pretty well as either a boost/light OD, distortion or thick fuzz. Not very transparent though but it's a great sound that can still work in a band whilst sounding pretty heavy, fuzzy and thick. I had a keeley one for ages and kinda regret selling it but I think a Turbo Rat will work just as well as I seemed to leave mine on the middle "mighty mouse" mode the most, which seemed the most amp-like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    What would you say is a definitive RAT sound, recorded examples?

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Graham Coxon’s fuzzy mayhem on Blur’s Song 2
    edited April 2018
    Goatsnake's Flowers Of Disease album and Melvins Bullhead are pretty good examples I think. Really like the tone on Stoner Witch but not sure if that's a Rat, it sounds pretty similar to me.

Running the Rat into my old Laney pretty much nailed the Goatsnake tone. 

Edit - cheeky plug, used my Rat on all the double tracks rhythm guitar when we recorded this as well https://mesma.bandcamp.com/releases
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Bernard Butler used them a lot, mainly the Turbo version, from Suede onwards.
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    you can hear them a lot in 90's indie, pavement, pixies, blur, radiohead and in jazz too (frisell, scofield, rosenwinkel).  A truly great and identifiable effect, works great with any tube amp

mooer does a clone that's more faithful to the original pedal than proco's current production with the addition of a turbo switch, and they go for 35 second hand. 
    edited April 2018
    There's also the Eno/Andoer one which is apparently the same as the mooer but can be had for 20 quid new
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    They were everywhere in the 90s, punk, Indie, Metal etc.

Pretty sure this is a Rat throughout.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    althy said:
    you can hear them a lot in 90's indie, pavement, pixies, blur, radiohead and in jazz too (frisell, scofield, rosenwinkel).  A truly great and identifiable effect, works great with any tube amp

mooer does a clone that's more faithful to the original pedal than proco's current production with the addition of a turbo switch, and they go for 35 second hand. 
    The Mooer sounds like a toy compared to current Rat2 models. Nowhere near the depth or quality of the tone.

my choice would be a late USA built Rat, they can be had for £50-£80 and out of all the Rat and Rat variants I’ve owned, they are by far the best ones.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    @timmysoft how do I tell a late USA made one?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited April 2018
    timmysoft said:
    The Mooer sounds like a toy compared to current Rat2 models. Nowhere near the depth or quality of the tone.

my choice would be a late USA built Rat, they can be had for £50-£80 and out of all the Rat and Rat variants I’ve owned, they are by far the best ones.
    Have to disagree. The mooer sounds spot on when replicating my 90's big box rat and the wf rat reissue which is not obtainable with the new rat 2 at all. 
    i've only ever used rats at lower gain settings though (from 10 to 13 max) high gain might be a different story..
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 399
    althy said:
    timmysoft said:

Have to disagree. The mooer sounds spot on when replicating my 90's big box rat and the wf rat reissue which is not obtainable with the new rat 2 at all. 
    i've only ever used rats at lower gain settings though (from 10 to 13 max) high gain might be a different story..
    I have to disagree too - I've had loads of Rats, and the Mooer has been the best.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    I've always associated it with 80's LA hair metal. On a very different tack, Chuck Prophet uses one and he has a great Tele sound. It's a remarkably flexible pedal. I'm currently playing with a ProCo Solo, a kind of supercharged Rat. Stacks well with other drive pedals.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4526
    edited April 2018
    @JezWynd do you have pedals stacked before or after the rat?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    edited April 2018
    DesVegas said:
    @JezWynd do you have pedals stacked before or after the rat?
    I've tried both and it works either way. I prefer the Solo into an SD-2 as you can use the Filter (on a Rat) or Scoop & Tone (on Solo) to shape the sound that goes into the SD-2. I use both with heavy distortion applied which gives a lot of sustain and random harmonics. It's a bit of a wild animal but you can coax some very cool sounds out of it. An SD-1 would probably work just as well (maybe a bit rougher sounding; the SD-2 is quite a smooth fuzz like sound on the Lead {high gain} side).
    TS-type pedal works quite well into a Rat if you want to tighten it up a bit.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16084
    Mooer is perfect re-creation 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Babones said:
    They were everywhere in the 90s, punk, Indie, Metal etc.

Pretty sure this is a Rat throughout.

I think they used MT2
    hotcake+ rat and the other way round great into a vox's normal channel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4526
    Cheers chaps. I have a dope Fx zen drive on the board and a rat clone on its way so was interested to hear your thoughts