RWRP wiring

What's Hot

I have just got a rather nice set of pickups for my tele but noticed that the neck has 3 wires white. black and yellow. I am told that this is because it is RWRP. I understand vaguely what that means but I am unsure how to connect, is it simply just a case of wiring white hot, black ground and yellow ground? also, if I left the yellow disconnected would it matter?

Thanks in anticipation

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    What make and model of pickup is it? Any instructions with them? Can you measure the resistance between each pair of wires? (black-white black-yellow white-yellow)
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    I don't think it's anything to do with it being RWRP (or not), the 'extra' wire is a probably a separate ground for the cover, enabling more wiring options like a phase switch or the 4-way series/parallel mod.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They are Montys vintage tele, the only instructions were for a 2 wire pickup. I will try to get hold of a multimeter tomorrow. Cheers
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    As above - it’s a ground for the cover to enable 4 Way Switch mod wiring.

*typically* put black and yellow to ground, white to switch.

check with a multimeter first though 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited April 2018
    Inspect the underside of the pickup.

Two of the wires will be connected to the soldering eyelets near the edge of the pickup bobbin. The third will be soldered to one of the fastening tabs of the metal screening cover. The short jumper wire that use to link the cover to the *start* end of the pickup coil should have been disconnected.

If you find three soldering eyelets AND a jumper connection from one of them to the metal cover, you probably have a coil-tapped pickup, capable of both vintage and "hot" output levels.

RPRW is a means of achieving hum-cancellation when both pickups are selected. 

This is correct in the basic bridge/both/neck circuit.

It is incorrect for any circuit with series/parallel or phase reversal switching.

Be seeing you.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Perhaps giving the chaps at Monty's a call would be your best bet - they make them and were quite chatty when I visited their stand at the Birmingham show earlier this year.

Adam
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Inspect the underside of the pickup.

Two of the wires will be connected to the soldering eyelets near the edge of the pickup bobbin. The third will be soldered to one of the fastening tabs of the metal screening cover. The short jumper wire that use to link the cover to the *start* end of the pickup coil should have been disconnected.

If you find three soldering eyelets AND a jumper connection from one of them to the metal cover, you probably have a coil-tapped pickup, capable of both vintage and "hot" output levels.

RPRW is a means of achieving hum-cancellation when both pickups are selected. 

This is correct in the basic bridge/both/neck circuit.

It is incorrect for any circuit with series/parallel or phase reversal switching.

Yeah my bad - just assuming it’s going to be wired in a typical Tele circuit....hence *typically*
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • Sincere thanks to all who offered advice here. I will definitely call Monty’s tomorrow, just asked here to see if I could resolve things sooner. I learn new things everyday on this forum.
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    It would be helpful if pickup makers included this sort of basic info on their websites.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • Great response from Montys, very helpful. Yellow is just an extra ground as I thought.