Talking Heads Harmonies?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
Can anyone work out the 3 part harmony on the intro to Road to Nowhere? I'm quite good at transcribing Guitar parts, but this has me stumped as it's multiple parts overlapping.

My band are going to cover it and we want to do a decent reproduction of the intro. If I had to have a guess, it sounds like D.B and T.W are singing the same melody, (the one that everyone hears), and then there is another member singing the harmony.

I'm probably wrong though.

Thanks for any help.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    edited April 2018
    Er, it's more than three parts. 

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/classic-tracks-talking-heads-road-nowhere-366112

The important sentence is way down the page. "The lush vocal sound at the top and at the end was created by Thorngren by doubling harmonies sung by Frantz, Weymouth and Harrison, augmented with a few New York jingle singers he knew."

Be seeing you.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    No help at all, but one of my favourite songs (and bands) of all time. 

Zydeco songs about ?what ?the apocalypse are where it's at. Hope you nail it: would love to see your interpretation.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    Thanks and it would appear to be quite a task, then! We are just going to have to do the best job with the vocals we have.

I had a bit of a Brainwave, which is rare for me :) I've been working out and then playing the lead melody in chord form (triads). So I expect one person each can take one note from the chord? I don't know how well I'm explaining it, but the other notes in the chord are the harmonies or can be used as them?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited April 2018
    Thanks and it would appear to be quite a task, then! We are just going to have to do the best job with the vocals we have.

I had a bit of a Brainwave, which is rare for me I've been working out and then playing the lead melody in chord form (triads). So I expect one person each can take one note from the chord? I don't know how well I'm explaining it, but the other notes in the chord are the harmonies or can be used as them?
    That’s basically it!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom