Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    This just gets crazier... How does the destruction of a massive amount of rosewood help preservation/conservation? It's utterly baffling!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8019
    Boromedic said:
    This just gets crazier... How does the destruction of a massive amount of rosewood help preservation/conservation? It's utterly baffling!

Yeah, I couldn't understand that either! :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    So..... they’re just going to scrap them??
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    Destroying wood to save wood seems a bit nonsensical.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

It's Pythonesque to be honest!! Someone is laughing somewhere!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    A bit like ordering elephants to be killed because someone’s traded ivory.....

Bizarre.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    It should do the job. Do you think Cordoba will risk using non certified wood again? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    It’s insane if they’re going to be destroyed.

If the aim is to financially punish the importer they should be given to a charity to sell.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I'm confused - it says they were granted "one of two types of legally required permit to import guitars with components made from East Indian Rosewood" so what have they done wrong? Did they get the wrong permit or are the details on the permit incorrect?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    edited April 2018
    It's a bit like fighting for peace or fucking for virginity... 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14037
    tFB Trader
    I'm confused - it says they were granted "one of two types of legally required permit to import guitars with components made from East Indian Rosewood" so what have they done wrong? Did they get the wrong permit or are the details on the permit incorrect?
    that is the worrying bit isn't it - you completed the CITES paperwork and an appropriate number issued - so all should be hunky dory - So if you make an error why was the CITE number issued ? - make an error, a legit error and you are still penalised - Worrying that we could all easily make an error
    merlin said:
    It's a bit like fighting for peace or fucking for virginity... 
    Hahaha, genuine lol to that!

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    I assumed the shipper got the export license but the distributor never got the import license
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    That's not how I read it - Selectron is the distributor so I assume the importer, who were granted an import certificate. You can't get an import certificate without an export certificate from the exporting country agency. APHA are very helpful and I'm sure would have picked up on a mistake on the application.
    All very strange - wish we had more facts.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Yeah, so you can’t get an import license without an export license first.   If they only have one license it must be the export one from the country of origin.

i have seen a few private sellers assume the export license is enough.  
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4979
    CHRISB50 said:
    Destroying wood to save wood seems a bit nonsensical.
    As they used to say in the Vietnam War - in order to save the village, we had to destroy the village...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Surely HMRC could have earnt i nice bit of VAT off of that! This whole CITES stuff is really getting stupid. If CITES is to be enforced then this process must be made much clearer for everyone. It really should only apply to new guitars that have been made.  
    I fear they are probably using this one as an example to shock everyone in the industry. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Its like ‘if you cant have it, and I can’t have it, its getting destroyed’ 

Would make more sense to send back to whoever sold/shipped them with a big ole fine or somethin. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    The least they could do is bury them and hope they'll grow into trees ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723

As ever with these sort of regulations, there is a Byzantine trail of paperwork which needs to be filled in correctly.

It's almost as if the aim is to make it as hard as possible to comply with the regs in the hope that people will simply throw the towel in.