CITES again... 500+ guitars seized

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    edited April 2018
    jpfamps said:

It's almost as if the aim is to make it as hard as possible to comply with the regs in the hope that people will simply throw the towel in.
    I think that’s totally the aim... enough vague risk to put off many from even trying. Kill the demand to stop the trade
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    Supplier amended the shipping order - added a guitar or suchlike , and the two paperworks don't tally so full shipment seized . 
    Full costs fall on Selectron...not fair really 
    Was chatting to them about it yesterday.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    A bit like ordering elephants to be killed because someone’s traded ivory.....

Bizarre.
    Not really. It's like destroying ivory after the elephant has been killed so nobody profits from its death. If the aim is to protect trees then destroying the guitars makes sense.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14244
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    A bit like ordering elephants to be killed because someone’s traded ivory.....

Bizarre.
    Not really. It's like destroying ivory after the elephant has been killed so nobody profits from its death. If the aim is to protect trees then destroying the guitars makes sense.
    the problem is once the ivory gets into the open market is who knows the elephant was dead from natural causes or shot/poached ? - So ban it all is the easy option for authorities

If you had something like a 200 year old hair brush with an ivory or tortoiseshell handle, then that is perfectly legal - decide to break it down for say fingerboard inlays or side dot markers and it becomes illegal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    Supplier amended the shipping order - added a guitar or suchlike , and the two paperworks don't tally so full shipment seized . 
    Well that’s a bit of a bugger 
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    That sucks. I would expect the supplier to be accountable, but I assume they've already been paid so don't care.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Well it’s a case of be careful what you wish for really. Nobody minded when my toys were taken away, now yours are.

Global Warming is bollocks, save the V8.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Garthy said:
    Well it’s a case of be careful what you wish for really. Nobody minded when my toys were taken away, now yours are.

Not for me I'm afraid, a bit too 'metal' for an old bloke ;)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    Garthy said:

Not for me I'm afraid, a bit too 'metal' for an old bloke ;)
    Sorry wrong thread, and can't seem to edit it on my iPad
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    So if I am leaving the country and taking guitars with me (via a commercial shipper) will I need to get CITIES clearance for my rosewood equipped guitars?

I don't have receipts for some of them because they were bought, well, here.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    octatonic said:
    So if I am leaving the country and taking guitars with me (via a commercial shipper) will I need to get CITIES clearance for my rosewood equipped guitars?

Yes.

You'll need export permits on this end, and import permits at your destination.

Not sure what to do about no receipts - possibly proof that a serial number dates it to a certain year might be OK.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    So....

Maple fretboards, anyone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I for one am massively relieved that a lot of rosewood has been saved by having a lot of rosewood destroyed.

Thank fuck for that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlin said:
    It's a bit like fighting for peace or fucking for virginity... 
    carlin
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    octatonic said:

Yes.

You'll need export permits on this end, and import permits at your destination.

Not sure what to do about no receipts - possibly proof that a serial number dates it to a certain year might be OK.
    OK, that might mean I am leaving a few things here then.
    prlgmnr said:
    So....

or Pau Ferro or Ziricote.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    octatonic said:
    prlgmnr said:
    So....

or Pau Ferro or Ziricote.
    What, and run the risk of someone setting your guitar on fire because "well, it's brown isn't it? get it on the bleedin' flaming heap 'o' tone before I toss you on as well"
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Macassar ebony is my favourite most recent new rosewood alternative. It feels more like IRW than like west African ebony. 
    Whitecat said:
    Macassar ebony is my favourite most recent new rosewood alternative. It feels more like IRW than like west African ebony. 
    I have 3 guitars with Macassar ebony fingerboards (including a self-build)- it is an excellent wood but I would expect that it becomes restricted at some stage too.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited April 2018
    I find it all very sinister, like burning books. Then you have the amount of local councils trying to kill off live music with db triggered power breakers in venues. Now we have the burning of musical instruments. They're doing the Talibans job for them. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom