Water Rats 2nd Jun 2018 Running Order - DOORS OPEN 1130

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    peteri said:
    I wasn't suggesting trying out kit in the main room, but actually was expecting to be playing with others (which is unfamiliar to me) with familiar kit.
    To be honest, the experience of playing with others, live, in a studio environment (which is the experience that we arrange these things for) is all going to sound and feel so different and unfamiliar, that "your sound" won't sound like your sound anyway.

If we were suggesting that everyone is going to be playing the same guitar, then I could understand the concern. 

Playing all the right notes, preferably in the right order and at the right time (Eric&Ernie) is all that's going to matter.  Do that, and it'll sound right  whatever you're playing through.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:

I will email Kim and double check what is available...

From the website;

Guitar Amps & Cabs
    Marshall JMC800 100w lead 
    Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100w 
    Marshall 100w JMP super lead 
    Marshall 9000 series 200w lead 
    3x Laney LV300H 100w lead 
    7x 4x12 guitar cabs.

Guitar Combos
    Marshall 50w JMP super lead 2x12.  
    Peavey Renown 100w 2x12.
    Peavey Duce 120w 2x12   
    Roland GA120 120w 2x12.
    HH VS 100w 2x12.

Bass Amps & Cabs
    5 x Peavey FireBass 700 heads
    3x Peavey TVX 410 cabs. 
    2x Peavey TX 410 cabs
    Peavey MK6 400w head
    Laney 2x15 cab.

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    So I’m guessing - those that use pedals plug into one of these amps, those of us which entirely model (not in that sense believe me!) into PA?

i can bring my own FRFR but that seems just as bad as my own amp 

sorry if I’m being thick 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    peteri said:
    So I’m guessing - those that use pedals plug into one of these amps, those of us which entirely model (not in that sense believe me!) into PA?

i can bring my own FRFR but that seems just as bad as my own amp 

sorry if I’m being thick 
    Yep - DI into PA or desk of full recording. 
    Thanks- happy!
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    edited April 2018
    peteri said:
    Thanks- happy!
    I'm glad that you are sorted but please be aware that things can go wrong. Be prepared to plug in a strange amp at short notice. It generally doesnt happen but a couple of times I've had to ditch a pedalboard mid song and once an amp failed on the count in on the first song. 

Playing out or with others sometimes involves these kinds of disaster and part of the experience is coping with it. 

edited April 2018

The proposed backline for the performance room is;

Marshall JCM 800 + 4x12
    Marshall JMP 100 + 4x12
    Laney  LV300H  + 4x12

with  a couple   of combos also set-up and ready to go, for just in case

Bass through a Peavey  MK6 400 head + cab

^^ That's using kit available at WaterRats.

If there's a general consensus objection to  any of that kit, we can swap it out for an alternative brought by one of you/us.  However, that alternative has to be generally agreed by everyone, must be left there all day for all to use, and whoever's providing it will need to be at the studio ahead of time on Saturday so that it can be set-up with the rest of the  kit.

Please keep in mind that the primary purpose of the day is to get more experience of playing in a band/studio environment, live with no re-takes.    It's not about trying to re-create the carefully crafted sound that you developed in your own  home as there will be too many other factors affecting that anyway.

What matters is playing the right part, at the right time, with everyone else doing likewise, and not whether you replicate "your" exact tonal characteristics.

[edit and PS]

Should also mention that @peteri is bringing his AX8 which will be plugged directly into the PA for the duration.

So, if you want to play through that and can persuade peteri to add your settings to his unit for the day, then that's a further option.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676
    TTony said:

What matters is playing the right part, at the right time, with everyone else doing likewise
    Oh, bugger... ;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    TTony said:

What matters is playing the right part, at the right time, with everyone else doing likewise
    Oh, bugger... ;)
    You'll be fine @darthed1981 ;

(as long as you've been practising the 12hrs/day like you said you were going to since the last time  :D )
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676
    TTony said:
    TTony said:

Oh, bugger... ;)
    You'll be fine @darthed1981 ;

(as long as you've been practising the 12hrs/day like you said you were going to since the last time  :D )
    I knew there was something I meant to do...

Actually been working a lot on the lead for "Champagne Supernova" new wrinkle if I'm singing it as well...

Would I be OK to bring a compressor and a tube screamer and whack them in front of the amp?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...

Would I be OK to bring a compressor and a tube screamer and whack them in front of the amp?
    Not really.

Swapping individual FX boxes in & out for each track is,going to be as disruptive as swappi g backline around.

Except that there's more to go wrong (and cause delays) as cables break, batteries run out, FX settings get changed, etc, etc, etc.

If someone wants to put a complete pedal board on the floor for the duration, that *might* work.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    TTony said:

Not really.

Swapping individual FX boxes in & out for each track is,going to be as disruptive as swappi g backline around.

Except that there's more to go wrong (and cause delays) as cables break, batteries run out, FX settings get changed, etc, etc, etc.

If someone wants to put a complete pedal board on the floor for the duration, that *might* work.
    Hmm , so how will people get a solo volume/gain boost? I used a small pedal board at Leicester just to thicken up a and boost the solo part. There were lots doing the same at Hudds. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Hmm , so how will people get a solo volume/gain boost? 
    Guitar Volume
    ?

Most songs have separate rhythm & lead parts/players anyway.

mrkb said:

There were lots doing the same at Hudds. 
    And that experience is "informing" our approach here
    ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    My guitar only works on full! I’ve never turned the volume knob down in my life! Are we allowed to touch the amp settings or are you removing all the knobs ;-)

Biggest delay at Hudds was people discussing arrangements in the main room (ie not going in prepared) or a rogue dr widdly playing a different version of the song to the rest of us....  Name tags and a practice room run through should be mandatory.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I know this is my first Jam, and I'm new to this - but it seems that saying to people no effects doesn't quite work.

I'm ok if I'm direct into the PA with my AX8, but if I didn't have that - trying to do the solo on White Room without a wah, or the intro to Purple Rain without a flanger/delay wouldn't make much sense.

Are we not throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

If people have pedalboards, and can quickly wire them in (maybe no 4cm?) can't lag that much.

I'd like to change guitars between songs, is that ok? (genuine question)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    peteri said:
    I know this is my first Jam, and I'm new to this - but it seems that saying to people no effects doesn't quite work.

I'm ok if I'm direct into the PA with my AX8, but if I didn't have that - trying to do the solo on White Room without a wah, or the intro to Purple Rain without a flanger/delay wouldn't make much sense.

Are we not throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

If people have pedalboards, and can quickly wire them in (maybe no 4cm?) can't lag that much.

You have 2 acoustic guitars ...???
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:

Name tags and a practice room run through should be mandatory.
    Name tags - absolutely, I must remember to do those!!

Run through - where wanted & possible, yup to that too.  Won't be poss for the first batch of songs (since everyone will need to be in the performance room), but should be do-able for all others.

I'm not organising any of that though, that'll be for individuals to sort out themselves.

peteri said:

Changing *during* a song might be a challenge, but what you play for each song is completely up to you.  As long as you've remembered to bring it with you of course
    ;)

If you look at the running order, I don't think you're playing anything back-to-back anyway.
    Thanks - yep, I've got three songs in a row (gulp!)
    peteri said:
    Thanks - yep, I've got three songs in a row (gulp!)
    Ahh, yes, so,you have!

Sorry, I'd missed that.  We can move the songs around within each mini-set if that helps?
This discussion has been closed.