Something not quite right about the bass in this advert

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Can’t see as I’m not a member of that group :anguished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    Can’t see as I’m not a member of that group :anguished: 
    Dang. Give me a minute.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Obviously, there is a mismatch between the photograph and the text description. 

There is no such thing as a 1963 fretless Gibson electric bass guitar. By definition, it would have to be de-fretted. 

The photograph is of a mid Seventies factory fretless Precision Bass with modifications. The creme DiMarzio J pickup is not original. Neither are the (possibly, Fender Brassworks accessories) brass bridge and Stratocaster type control knobs. Some sort of pickup selector control has been crammed in between the tone pot and the output jack.

The combination of a black/white/black pickguard and the large typeface used for the model name legend narrow things down to 1972/75.

I have a modified 1978/79 example. I would be disappointed if it only fetched £800.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    The black pickguard - if original - makes it late 1974 or later I think.

£800 seems a reasonable price if the routing for the Jazz pickup has been done cleanly, which from the pic it looks like it probably has. The replacement bridge appears to have screw holes outside the footprint of the original, but if it's a decent quality bridge then it's not too big a disaster.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein