Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2

What's Hot

Comments

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    I'm struggling with these sessions....A Jam is people getting to together to have fun and practice / improv tunes.

Coming ready practiced, or, practiced to play certain songs,  is a GIG........ isn't it,,,, and perhaps why the thread is a bit quiet, because there are only those signed up to the song list who may comment?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Not at all, as mentioned before, the formal jam is a mere fraction of the event. Far more happens away from there. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    TADodger said:
    I'm struggling with these sessions....A Jam is people getting to together to have fun and practice / improv tunes.

Coming ready practiced, or, practiced to play certain songs,  is a GIG........ isn't it,,,, and perhaps why the thread is a bit quiet, because there are only those signed up to the song list who may comment?

@TADodger you thinking of coming mate?

I think you are far from alone in this desire to do more informal jamming, so maybe a few others might well be able to start a thread, pre-arrange some more informal jams for the Saturday and Sunday?

One thing that is likely, I suspect, is a few heavy heads on the Sunday, so a more informal feel might work it's way in, in any case!

I've signed up to loads of stuff on the set list but about half of the attendees have not, so quite possibly one or two groups of jammers to go into seperate rooms etc?

What say ye all?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    To answer the question about practising songs - the "arranged" part of the weekend is the stuff going on in the live studio room.  Which, to be fair, does take quite a bit of organising, not least from @Sasquatch_Bob who sets up the stuff, and @Bridgehouse who does the cat herding.  I think @Legionreturns has something to do with it as well :)

To me, given the above effort, it would be a shame to turn up not at least having had a think about what to play in there.  And probably a quick practice or two in advance.  No, we're not going to sound like Oasis, or Motorhead, or whoever.  But for something to work towards, and an experiment in how good a song one can knock out in ten minutes with a bunch of strangers who have never played together before, I think it's excellent fun.  I wouldn't normally practice for a gig like that (my average is one year between starting band and playing gig) - but that's what makes it so brilliant.

[I should add at this point, if anyone is thinking of coming but wants to take part in a song that appears to have its full complement of players, just shout up.  I would step back from anything to make way for a fellow Fretboarder wanting to break their jam duck.  It's just that there has been some talk of there not being much interest (which I don't see myself but hey) - so we've filled in the blanks, but I'm sure I don't speak for myself when I say I'd be happy to step aside on request.  I wouldn't like anyone to think it's a fait accompli, or that they're not part of the clique and can't join in.  (Ooh, posh French words!)]

Plus - the gig.  Well, that is indeed a gig, there's no way around it.  The other way of looking at it is - hey it's a blimmin' gig, with flyers and everything, except we've never practised before the very day, and we're all flying by the seat of our pants and some mistakes will be made but just imagine how great it will be, there will be mayhem and brilliance and beef and beer and a chance to make new guitary friends.  What's not to like?

What's more, that's just part of what the weekend offers.  When I'm not in the studio room, I fully intend on dropping into one of the other two rooms and having a massive space-age jam with whoever happens to be in there.  As I've been saying on the thread, I need some drum stool time so that's a big part of what I want to achieve over the weekend.  Anyone can plug a guitar in, sing some words into a mic, hit a drum with a stick.  There are no rules.  Life's what you make it, as the fella says.

Finally, I hope there will be some sort of "Show 'n' tell" thing where we stand up our best guitars on stands and say a bit about them, let people have a go, and basically ogle a load of expensive guitar gear and have a go on stuff that would ordinarily be out of reach.

And if that doesn't sound like a grand way to spend a weekend, I don't know what does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Fine post from @modellista there!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    Agree with @modellista - if you don’t put any effort it you don’t get as much out of it. I’ve tried the “let’s just jam” and it doesn’t work, as nobody know the same songs, so it’s either a few bars that people shout out the chords with everyone looking at each other for a chance to solo, or endless 12 bar jams that lose the interest after 5 mins as there’s no structure. The way these sessions have developed give a good mix of structured learning, work on the same song and then play it vibe - all good fun! I’ve developed more in the 9 months I’ve been doing them, that the many years before that where I just repeatedly played bits of songs I knew without ever getting them performance ready. YMMV of course.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Herding? If only... ;)
    Crikey this is creeping up on us!  Two more weekends of prevaricating and not practising.

It's fortunate that my main bit of playing is pentatonic noodling which I do every day!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Shame we’ve not managed to encourage any more waverers - really looking forward to seeing those I met last time - and those who weren’t.
    Still time for them to waver in the direction of attending....?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    @TTony @Bridgehouse and @Legionreturns I can't make this one anymore. My work schedule has changed.

I've waited hoping that there would be a reserve I could generously give my place to so I could feel less bad. 

Apologies

Chris

slacker said:
    @TTony @Bridgehouse and @Legionreturns I can't make this one anymore. My work schedule has changed.

I've waited hoping that there would be a reserve I could generously give my place to so I could feel less bad. 

Apologies

Chris

Sadly getting to the stage of having any "reserves" seems extremely unlikely at the minute.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited July 2018
    oh this is 2 weeks ago away, I'd better get on and learn those tunes I campaigned for! doh.
    TADodger said:

I think you are far from alone in this desire to do more informal jamming, so maybe a few others might well be able to start a thread, pre-arrange some more informal jams for the Saturday and Sunday?

One thing that is likely, I suspect, is a few heavy heads on the Sunday, so a more informal feel might work it's way in, in any case!

I've signed up to loads of stuff on the set list but about half of the attendees have not, so quite possibly one or two groups of jammers to go into seperate rooms etc?

What say ye all?
    That came over a bit more negative than I intended. I put it down to a few beers on top of pain tablets (or just being miserable ). 

I do get the format and enjoyed the two that I have been to, it just feels to me that as an 'improver', it would be good to maybe include practice of 'say' chords in a particular key to jam on a song list, or, maybe a sequence of chords that could be played on a looper for lead practice (similar to Bigjohns session late on in Leicester)- for a bit of variety. 

@darthed1981 - I was going to come along, but Jane reminded me that we are having visitors from Canada and I cannot just 'go out'. 

I now feel that I don't really have a right to comment on this session at all....so enjoy.

TADodger said:
    TADodger said:

What say ye all?
    That came over a bit more negative than I intended. I put it down to a few beers on top of pain tablets (or just being miserable ). 

I do get the format and enjoyed the two that I have been to, it just feels to me that as an 'improver', it would be good to maybe include practice of 'say' chords in a particular key to jam on a song list, or, maybe a sequence of chords that could be played on a looper for lead practice (similar to Bigjohns session late on in Leicester)- for a bit of variety. 

@darthed1981 - I was going to come along, but Jane reminded me that we are having visitors from Canada and I cannot just 'go out'. 

I now feel that I don't really have a right to comment on this session at all....so enjoy.

Hopefully there will be another one and I'll see you there :)

FWIW, I think overall you are being a bit hard on yourself, you did just fine at the jams I was with you at.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    "Hey visitors from Canada, would you like to join me in a highly cultural event this weekend?" :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Snags said:
    "Hey visitors from Canada, would you like to join me in a highly cultural event this weekend?" :)
    No, the Canadians don't pronounce 'cult' with an 'n'
    TADodger said:
    TADodger said:

What say ye all?

Hopefully there will be another one and I'll see you there :)

FWIW, I think overall you are being a bit hard on yourself, you did just fine at the jams I was with you at.
    Hi Ed @darthed1981 - I guess I wasn't thinking about ability as we can all learn at any level.

My point was more about the rationale of practising one (or a few) songs over and over (and some do repeat at each Jam) to then perform in a closed jam setting (acknowledging the proposed evening event this time around). I realise that some, potentially taking you for example, may get a kick out of singing, say, champagne supernova multiple times to try to nail it more each time; but for me, I want to learn how to play the rhythm or solo to any song because I understand the principles and techniques of playing guitar. I realise that this is not possible as it is too much / technical for a jam event, but plenty of good tips  an principles can be learned from a day spent jamming.

Listening to some of the songs/ riffs/ SoTM in the Making Music thread there are folks on here that have much to pass on at the right type of event. 
    TADodger said:
    Hi Ed @darthed1981 - I guess I wasn't thinking about ability as we can all learn at any level.

My point was more about the rationale of practising one (or a few) songs over and over (and some do repeat at each Jam) to then perform in a closed jam setting (acknowledging the proposed evening event this time around). I realise that some, potentially taking you for example, may get a kick out of singing, say, champagne supernova multiple times to try to nail it more each time; but for me, I want to learn how to play the rhythm or solo to any song because I understand the principles and techniques of playing guitar. I realise that this is not possible as it is too much / technical for a jam event, but plenty of good tips  an principles can be learned from a day spent jamming.

Listening to some of the songs/ riffs/ SoTM in the Making Music thread there are folks on here that have much to pass on at the right type of event. 
    Totally understood.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    My summer holiday curse strikes again. 3 years out of the last 4 I've managed to seriously injure myself just before the six week holiday. 

Today, with an hour left until the kids went home, I properly munted my hand with a slip of the bushcraft knife during a lesson in the woods. It's a task I've done thousands of times, but I was rushing and took a short cut. 

The really bad news is I've severed the top tendon on my left index finger. Yes, the one that does more fretting than any of the others. 

I've got an op booked to reattach it and fix any other damage when they're in there. That's at 7:30 am tomorrow so I'll know a bit more when I wake up. It doesn't look good for playing at the jam though. 

Guess I'll be singing / organising a lot 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.