Recommendations for mini humbuckers?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
edited May 2018 in Guitar
I have had my Gibson 70's tribute for a few years now and think it's time to upgrade the mini humbuckers in it, the stock pickups are ok but I'd like something a little less bright and with more punch, can you fine people recommend a set that'll do the job please? I honestly don't know who's out there that makes mini humbuckers so your help would be much appreciated, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14524
    The Gibson Tribute mini-buckers feature blade polepieces a bit like a Firebird pickup. Hotter pickups of the same construction exist. For example, Seymour Duncan SM-2 and SM-3. The higher resistance of the coils takes off some of the edge and beefs up the mid range.

Mini-buckers with adjustable screw polepieces and moderately powerful magnets would smooth things out but not necessarily increase the output.

I dare say that the UK pickup builders who frequent this forum could custom wind EXACTLY what you think you want.

Alternatively, since your guitar is already routed to accept P90s, go mad and install a pair of the Bare Knuckle Pig'90 or Oil City The Void. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1025
    There was a Mojo one for sale in the classifieds recently, although it may be sold now...
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Has anyone tried the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups? They do a set of mini's that might just fit the bill but not cheap!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader
    zepp76 said:
    Has anyone tried the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups? They do a set of mini's that might just fit the bill but not cheap!
    Lollar and S Duncan Antiquity both have good reviews for original mini humbucker models that should offer a serious upgrade on your stock p/ups - certainly with more of a vintage flavoured voice - look elsewhere for hi-gain/hi output versions
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3174
    tFB Trader
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    they sound like they could be a good option - based on the real thing like I have on an old Epi Riviera
  • You'll never find a set but if you can get a set of Emerson's.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    For something a bit different

For something more traditional

RiftAmps said:
    They look like they could fit the bill but there's no sound clips, the only link they have doesn't seem to have any sound. I've tried clicking the link numerous times but still no sound, could someone please try the link and see if it works for you? I really am quite interested in these but without sound clips I'm loathe to take the plunge.
    RiftAmps said:
    @RiftAmps Have you ordered from Monty's before? I messaged him but haven't got a reply yet. I just need to know if those mini's will fit my 70's Tribute without any further mods. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3174
    tFB Trader
    zepp76 said:
    RiftAmps said:
    They look like they could fit the bill but there's no sound clips, the only link they have doesn't seem to have any sound. I've tried clicking the link numerous times but still no sound, could someone please try the link and see if it works for you? I really am quite interested in these but without sound clips I'm loathe to take the plunge.
    The 'Click Me' link takes you through to a video on facebook, works for me on Firefox.

zepp76 said:
    @RiftAmps Have you ordered from Monty's before? I messaged him but haven't got a reply yet. I just need to know if those mini's will fit my 70's Tribute without any further mods. 
    Yup, many times. Just give Matt a call on 07921 916053
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

RiftAmps said:
    zepp76 said:
    RiftAmps said:
    The 'Click Me' link takes you through to a video on facebook, works for me on Firefox.

zepp76 said:
    Yes I get to Facebook after clicking the link but I just can't get any sound no matter what I try, may be something to do with my iPad.

Thank you for the number, I'll give him a call after the weekend. I don't want to disturb him on a bank holiday weekend.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Jack_ said:
    I don't think Ash has been around much. A few months back he didn't  reply to messages, DM or in his thread. I guess business is booming!
    zepp76 said:
    RiftAmps said:
    zepp76 said:
    RiftAmps said:

zepp76 said:
    Yes I get to Facebook after clicking the link but I just can't get any sound no matter what I try, may be something to do with my iPad.

Thank you for the number, I'll give him a call after the weekend. I don't want to disturb him on a bank holiday weekend.
    @RiftAmps  I couldn't wait and have called Matt, after a quick chat I've decided to give his mini humbuckers a go and have ordered them. Fingers crossed they're going to be good! Thank you for recommending them.
  • zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    RiftAmps said:
    zepp76 said:
    RiftAmps said:

zepp76 said:

@RiftAmps  I couldn't wait and have called Matt, after a quick chat I've decided to give his mini humbuckers a go and have ordered them. Fingers crossed they're going to be good! Thank you for recommending them.
    So... @zepp76 ;
    Hi! How were those Montys Mini himbuckers please?