Band "Vacancies" (!)

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited May 2018 in Making Music
I keep seeing lots of ads, particularly on Facebook groups, asking for band members. 

They go something like this: 

Band members wanted. 

We need: 
Lead guitarist
Keys
Drums
Bass

Genres: 

Pop, rock, punk, blues, metal, 70s, 80s, 90s 00s...

Etc.

Mate, you aren't a band. You're one fucking bloke who plays a bit of rhythm and thinks he can sing. 

There is no "we" ...unless you're including your mum because she'll give you a lift to a gig / practice just to get you out of your bedroom.

Rant over. Excuse me. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    and... relax.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    octatonic said:
    and... relax.
    Yeah. The beer is helping. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    The adverts I get are only ever 

Drummer needed
    Bassist needed

Band looking for rhythm/lead guitarist for stuff I love to play but we're 20 years younger than you and in a different post of the country 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Band members wanted. ... Mate, you aren't a band. You're one fucking bloke who plays a bit of rhythm and thinks he can sing. ... There is no "we" 
    To me, the phrase *band members wanted* carries the inference that replacement/additional personnel are sought for an ensemble that already exists.

Advertisements, recruiting musicians for new bands, should be worded differently. Also, if recruiting for a properly organised music project, it would be both reasonable and desirable to specify the music genre.

Be seeing you.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    I saw an ad recently looking for a lead guitarist for a Hendrix tribute....not the usual scenario!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I saw an ad recently looking for a lead guitarist for a Hendrix tribute....not the usual scenario!
    I always remember singer and violinist wanted for Corrs tribute. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited May 2018
    I keep seeing lots of ads, particularly on Facebook groups, asking for band members. 

They go something like this: 

Band members wanted. 

We need: 
    Lead guitarist
    Keys
    Drums
    Bass

Genres: 

Etc.

Mate, you aren't a band. You're one fucking bloke who plays a bit of rhythm and thinks he can sing. 

There is no "we" ...unless you're including your mum because she'll give you a lift to a gig / practice just to get you out of your bedroom.

Rant over. Excuse me. 
    To me, this advert sounds like some untalented wannabe microphone-hogging singer who can’t be bothered to learn an instrument, yet considers himself the next Robert Plant or John Lydon, is looking for a bunch of mugs to stroke his ego.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418

We need: 
    Lead guitarist
    Keys
    Drums
    Bass

Genres: 

Etc.

And don't they often also say "gigs already lined up". What, with no band???

Rant totally justified Chris :)

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Band members wanted. ... Mate, you aren't a band. You're one fucking bloke who plays a bit of rhythm and thinks he can sing. ... There is no "we" 
    To me, the phrase *band members wanted* carries the inference that replacement/additional personnel are sought for an ensemble that already exists.

Advertisements, recruiting musicians for new bands, should be worded differently. Also, if recruiting for a properly organised music project, it would be both reasonable and desirable to specify the music genre.

Indeed. And if he's having to replace that many band members at once, there's clearly an underlying issue!

• slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    Maybe I'm cynical but I think that people advertise as a band so that they retain control. I've joined and left several bands to find out that its a start up and have no control. I'm not an egotist I was a side man for years I just knew what i was getting into.

Maybe it's just anecdotal evidence but in my experience the ones with enough balls to be upfront about leading a band were good at it. The ones who did it by stealth were useless.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    slacker said:
    I think that people advertise as a band so that they retain control.
    During an interview on the Michael Parkinson television show, Duke Ellington was asked how he kept musicians of the calibre of Johnny Hodges in his big band. He replied, "I offer them money."

People who WANT control should pay their sidekicks at union rates (or, if appropriate, multiples thereof).
    Be seeing you.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    slacker said:
    I think that people advertise as a band so that they retain control.

People who WANT control should pay their sidekicks at union rates (or, if appropriate, multiples thereof).
    Hence the deception imho.