NGD - How I learned to stop worrying and love the mini humbucker

What's Hot
johnljohnl Frets: 2011
This turned up first thing yesterday morning:

It's so 70s that if you put your ear to it you can just about hear the soft creaking of John Travolta's flares. This is the first time I've ever owned / held or played and SG and I'm amazed how comfortable they are and how much fun they are to play. So much so that I suspect most of my other guitars will be going up for sale here shortly.....
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4219

Oh I like that.  Small blocks too, proper 70's Gibson!

How are the frets?  Is there plenty of meat on them?

Happy NGD.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    Like it, like it a lot ! HNGD!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14312
    tFB Trader
    Which mini humbuckers are on that ? - They've done 3 different types over the years - But I know they've fitted some recently with  alnico 11 magnets and based on the original paf flavoured mini humbuckers - Crisp and clear but smoother and far less output - Different voice to the version with 2 ceramic bar magnets and again different to original versions on 70's LP deluxe models - All look the same but different under the 'bonnet' 

Nice cool looking SG
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Thanks guys - it's actually a 2018 Special so a lot less 70s than it looks :) Not sure if it's something to do with the thin body, the pickups or both but it squeals more than any other guitar I've played - the first 5 minutes or so of me playing were just a solid wall of pinch harmonics....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Which mini humbuckers are on that ? - They've done 3 different types over the years - But I know they've fitted some recently with  alnico 11 magnets and based on the original paf flavoured mini humbuckers - Crisp and clear but smoother and far less output - Different voice to the version with 2 ceramic bar magnets and again different to original versions on 70's LP deluxe models - All look the same but different under the 'bonnet' 

Nice cool looking SG
    No idea honestly - I'll take them out later and see if there's any identifying marks etc. I know there were some complaints on other forums about the particular mini humbuckers in the 2018 lineup but so far I'm really enjoying them.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14312
    tFB Trader
    johnl said:

Nice cool looking SG
    No idea honestly - but so far I'm really enjoying them.
    that's all that matters really
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Wow!  That looks fabulous! Cool as cool can be.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    Very nice that, HNGD! Are those pickups the same as recent Firebirds, I like them better than the vintage types, more meat on the bones.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    That’s cool!! 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Looks remarkably similar to the '75 special I once had. I think mine had black pickup covers though.

Very nice!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    Delightful! Crying out for some p90s though :)
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    johnl said:
    This turned up first thing yesterday morning
    Guitars just visit your house, unannounced?  That never happens where I live  :s

Pretty awesome visitor, though!
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Cool :) Scott Gorham cool :)
    Corvus said:
    Very nice that, HNGD! Are those pickups the same as recent Firebirds, I like them better than the vintage types, more meat on the bones.
    Took them out earlier to take a look (30 seconds to get them out, about 3 hours of struggling to get them back in), 495R and 495T. Looks like these are the ones with the ceramic bar magnets, I suspect I'll end up getting a pair of either Oil City or Lollars to replace them with. Also considering routing out a slot for a middle mini humbucker too....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11805
    Happy NGD :)

Never been able to love an SG myself yet!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 145
    Those are the new mega-hot minis right? I like the SG tributes and those small blocks are really cool. If they had fretboard binding I'd have snapped up one of the 70s and changed some P90s in to match my 61 Special - they're the same routes I think so should be a straight swap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    johnl said:
    Corvus said:
    Took them out earlier to take a look (30 seconds to get them out, about 3 hours of struggling to get them back in), 495R and 495T. Looks like these are the ones with the ceramic bar magnets, I suspect I'll end up getting a pair of either Oil City or Lollars to replace them with. Also considering routing out a slot for a middle mini humbucker too....
    If you are looking for something a bit more esoteric I'd recommend checking these guys

&

For a lot of different types of Mini HB's

• NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    I do like that!

Never tried an SG but would like to. 
    Neil said:
    I do like that!

Never tried an SG but would like to. 
    Definitely give one a go - I'd always ignored them but it's by far the comfiest shape I've ever played. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I have a 73/74 Special, and I don't think the Reissues capture the look without the harmonica bridge that Gibson was using at the time.

I didn't like the original pups on mine. But I was used to the hot pups on my GSG. I replaced the bridge with a Seymourized Mini and still didn't like the sound. It sounded great unplugged and had a great feel around the fifth fret. I sold the pups and put a cheap P90 in the bridge and I love it!