HD Radio (Radio 3) on a stand alone Internet Radio.

SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
Has anyone got a decent (stand alone) Internet Radio?

If so - can you answer these questions please.
1. Can you access BBC  iplayer directly to get the Radio 3 HD Radio stream (320kbs)?
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/radio/radio_hd_sound
2 . Does it sound significantly better than DAB on the same device?
3. What bit rate is Classic Fm when streaming and does it sound better than DAB on the same device?

A google search has been frustrating as the results assume that I understand what streaming radio is. I don't. (See question 1).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited May 2018
    Skipped said:
    Has anyone got a decent (stand alone) Internet Radio?

If so - can you answer these questions please.
    1. Can you access BBC  iplayer directly to get the Radio 3 HD Radio stream (320kbs)?
    http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/radio/radio_hd_sound
    2 . Does it sound significantly better than DAB on the same device?
    3. What bit rate is Classic Fm when streaming and does it sound better than DAB on the same device?

A google search has been frustrating as the results assume that I understand what streaming radio is. I don't. (See question 1).
    I've got a couple of Roberts stream radios.  An older one and the latest one.
    1.  yep  [EDIT - or rather, your device accesses R3 via your wifi.  It works out where BBC Radio 3 HD is, shows you, and you just click that you want to listen to it.  It's very smooth.  You don't actually use iPlayer.]
    2.  ummm, this particular device isn't really a hi fi experience.  You're only talking a pair of 1" speakers so it's never going to sound top quality.  But it's serviceable.  And the better thing about the internet stream for me is that it's more reliable than DAB.  I don't listen to DAB at all now; just internet.
    3.  Classic is 128kbs (they've got a lower one too (48kbs).  And yes, this is much better sounding than the DAB in my area.

PS streaming radio just means that the device finds your wifi, connects itself to the internet, knows where the radio stations are and plays the ones you want.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Much appreciated Grunfeld.
    Thank you.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11677
    If looking for high-quality sound, the best you will tend to get from a portable is "better than you'd expect for something of the size", certainly nothing that would allow you to hear the quality difference between a 128k and 320k stream.

However, most people these days carry around a mobile phone that has a decent quality DAC, the iPlayer radio app and plug in a good quality set of headphones, potentially Proms heaven?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...