Incandescent bulbs: will be banned from sale in the UK from September 2018

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
I know sales were restricted 2-3 years ago, but I have just discovered that there will soon be a total ban on these. Still don't trust the eco bulbs, so is it time to stock up?

What's an incandescent bulb? One of these:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Apparently some of the big DIY type stores have a stockpile that will last them more than 5 years... so you might find it takes a while for them to disappear off the shelves... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Why not just get some current generation LED bulbs? Everyone I've come across who has a dislike of "eco" bulbs has only ever tried the first generation of them (CFL), which were shit. Current LEDs are very nearly indistinguishable from incandescent in terms of light quality - but use a tenth of the electricity and last far longer. The low power usage also means that if you want, you can significantly increase the brightness of your light fittings and still have them run cooler - for example a 13W LED is brighter than an old 100W incandescent, but is perfectly safe in a 40W-max fitting.

The only issue I have with stopping incandescents is that I use a 100W bulb as a current limiter for troubleshooting amps, and LED won't work for that so I may need a few spares, if I can find any.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I have a stock of red fireglow bulbs which are my usual way to warm up the appearance of my lounge. Those coiled up flourescent tubes are shite, but I'm content to find LED equivalents of any incandescent bulbs. They draw less current, don't take any warm-up time, and since I've been using them have not had to replace one, whereas I have had to replace various incandescent bulbs. I think you could "trust" LEDs.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    edited May 2018
    Wilko seem to be going down the LED variant route only already. The eco incandescent/halogen varieties stocked are now only rated at 30w OUTPUT which is far too dim.

I DO NOT WANT TO BE BATHED IN LED ULTRA VIOLET WHITE!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The eco incandescent varieties are now only rated at 30w OUTPUT which is far too dim.
    30W is enough for a stairwell or a downstairs loo (unless you read in the loo)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @ICBM was delighted by the new standard lamp for his lounge...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    57Deluxe said:

I DO NOT WANT TO BE BATHED IN LED ULTRA VIOLET WHITE!
    LEDs don't emit ultraviolet - that's fluorescents you're thinking of.

There are plenty of 'warm white' LEDs available now too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited May 2018
    Household needs will probably find a way to be met but the scary thing is this: even the latest, most energy-saving breed of LEDs that theatre shows and rock concerts have already turned to when it comes to stage lighting will be outlawed if the EU cancels the current exemption. 

If all the appeals fail, there is literally no Plan B in place in terms of available technology. By November, when the final decision is due, the UK's entire stage industry, from the National Theatre down to local and community stage and music events, could be affected, not just creatively but also financially... and in many cases that will likely mean terminally. 

Here's an article with the facts...

https://www.thestage.co.uk/opinion/2018/paule-constable-prospect-theatres-literally-going-dark-real/

Unless campaigners somehow manage a miracle – there's a big showdown with EU lobbyists happening this week – this really bad bad news for the performing arts. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @KKJale I agree, but I can't imagine HMG lifting a finger about it. Neither can I imagine "lighting police" going round various gigs to check that "out-of-date" equipment is not being used.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Typical stupid EU bollocks. Haven't these people got anything better to do?

Incandescent bulbs cast a light that no LED bulb will ever be able to match.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited May 2018
    @Phil_aka_Pip I hear you, but hoping the feds don't come round is no way to run a multi-million arts industry.

Theatres won't even be able to replace any existing lighting hardware - as I say, even the latest and best LED stuff – when it breaks down: it'll all be outlawed. 

Replacement with EU target-meeting technology would cost an estimated billion, if such technology existed. But it doesn't.  

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

ICBM said:
    - for example a 13W LED is brighter than an old 100W incandescent, but is perfectly safe in a 40W-max fitting.
    Thanks for shedding some light on this as what wattage of LEDs would be suitable replacements for my 100W incandescents had crossed my mind. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I'm so angry I'm incandescent!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    The council have replaced my local streetlights with LED ones; they give off a wierd slightly greenish glow and the wildlife seems eerily quiet.
    Presumably the people who are against LED bulbs don't realise how much of our power generation capacity is used for lighting - and that if all incandescents were replaced with LED, it would reduce the total energy demand by as much as 10%.

And the reason it has to be legislated for is because otherwise some people just go on believing that the old ways are the best, even when they're not...

Leaded petrol and coal-burning open fires had people who believed that the replacements "just weren't as good" too, but we're all better off without them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    prowla said:
    I'm so angry I'm incandescent!
    You will have to stop feeling like this by September.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    ICBM said:
    Presumably the people who are against LED bulbs don't realise how much of our power generation capacity is used for lighting - and that if all incandescents were replaced with LED, it would reduce the total energy demand by as much as 10%.

And the reason it has to be legislated for is because otherwise some people just go on believing that the old ways are the best, even when they're not...

Leaded petrol and coal-burning open fires had people who believed that the replacements "just weren't as good" too, but we're all better off without them.
    I'm guessing you don't have a valve amp, buddy?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:

I'm guessing you don't have a valve amp, buddy?
    I do, but it's quite old now. (Older than me, in fact.) I have no real intention of buying a new one though.

It's also worth considering the miniscule proportion of electricity generation used by valve amps...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Brize said:

Incandescent bulbs cast a light that no LED bulb will ever be able to match.
    Exactly. Our house will continue to use Incandescent bulbs. I value my eyesight.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    ICBM said:
    Why not just get some current generation LED bulbs? Everyone I've come across who has a dislike of "eco" bulbs has only ever tried the first generation of them (CFL), which were shit. Current LEDs are very nearly indistinguishable from incandescent in terms of light quality - but use a tenth of the electricity and last far longer. The low power usage also means that if you want, you can significantly increase the brightness of your light fittings and still have them run cooler - for example a 13W LED is brighter than an old 100W incandescent, but is perfectly safe in a 40W-max fitting.

I don't even realise there were such things as LED bulbs (for normal domestic light fittings) until yesterday. 

I was in Sainsburys and went to the light bubs section, expecting to see the tube things (CFL?) and all they had were LEDs.  It really threw me, I was thinking should I buy these?  Are they energy efficient?  Will they blow up after 5 minutes?  I was so perplexed I almost resorted to buying incandescents. 

It was like the world had left me behind, as if I'd suddenly turned into my dad....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom