33 60w spots for kitchen screw
    24 60w candle clear
    69 40w candle clear
    1x 150w old style
    1x 40w old style
    6 eco
    2x 60w spot bcap

better get some more in then,,,

I was going to say what I thought of you, but I'd probably get into trouble.

New LEDs are so good, that no-one with any sense would use anything else.   They are far cheaper to run, and they last for ages so you aren't always on stepladders changing them -and the light is good. 

I do have a lava lamp that I might need to get a couple of bulbs for, but that apart everything is being replaced by LEDs in our house.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    How long before the EU tries to ban valve electronics? Or has someone already told them that the number of people who use valve HiFi or other audio equipment including guitarists is so piddlingly small compared to the rest of the population's use of solid state electronics that it really makes bugger all difference to the national grid?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Anything above 100w bulbs for lava lamps are virtually impossible to replace already, my 3ft lamp needs a 200w bulb !
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    sweepy said:
    Anything above 100w bulbs for lava lamps are virtually impossible to replace already, my 3ft lamp needs a 200w bulb !

Mine's a smaller one.  Think it has a 40W bulb.   Need to check.  That apart though, I'm switching everything in our house to LED as bulbs go.  There are a couple of ancient GU10s in the downstairs toilet that haven't blown yet.  I'm wondering whether to wait till they blow, or replace them with LEDs anyway.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I bought a stock on NOS coloured R16 lava lamp bulbs recently - ancient things - was a guy on eBay selling loads of strange bulbs. I've replaced almost all my bulbs with LEDs, used to but Phillips which are good but pricey but on a tip tried Poundland's - they do warm white and they are great - they are £1 each unsurprisingly! I bought 20 including 6 GU10, had one dud. Will see how long they last. I have some retro filament style bulbs in one room but they are rarely on - I just like how they look when they are off.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @crunchman wait till they blow, get your money's worth out of them. In the meantime you have plenty of time to suss out who's selling the cheapest replacements which is better than buying a replacement at the wrong price just 'cos you need one NOW
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    @crunchman wait till they blow, get your money's worth out of them. In the meantime you have plenty of time to suss out who's selling the cheapest replacements which is better than buying a replacement at the wrong price just 'cos you need one NOW
    This. I haven't thrown out any incandescents or even CFLs that haven't blown yet - I've put the incandescents in places where they don't get used a lot (eg the loft) so the energy use isn't as an issue compared to the cost of a new LED bulb, and the CFLs are in places where the light quality doesn't matter (eg the hall).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

The problem is that my daughters aren't good at turning lights off, so they can leave those lights on for hours at a time.  Much as I don't like ditching things that aren't broken, the savings from switching to LEDs might make it worthwhile anyway.

I've got a multipack of GU10 LEDs that I got a good deal on.  I always keep a decent stash of spare light bulbs but that's come back to bite me now as I've still got a few higher powered bayonet fit CFLs that I don't really want.  I'd rather just ditch them and go LED, but part of me doesn't like the waste.

It's not just the energy savings with LEDs either.  We have really high ceilings, so if the ones in the kitchen go, then I've got to get the stepladder out to change them.  When we had the kitchen done, the original bulbs (four of them) that came with the fitting all blew within 3 or 4 months.  With the LEDs, I don't think I've changed one for two years at least.

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    We have quite a few hall lights dotted around the house and I replaced them with these 4 Watt LEDs, bought in packs of 5 for £15.  Nice light colour, an appropriate level of brightness and look a lot like an incandescent.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    I think it says a lot about the demographic of this forum when people are literally concerned about how they'll get their lava lamps to work!   :D
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BigMonka said:
    I think it says a lot about the demographic of this forum when people are literally concerned about how they'll get their lava lamps to work!   :D

My daughters love my lava lamp!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    It’s perfect for chilling with a large JD and coke, soothed by the sounds of Tangerine Dream, 100w bulb makes it move like a teenager on a Monday morning :(
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Our house is almost 100% lit by LED bulbs. And I can verify what @ICBM wrote about light quality. Low power usage, perfectly adequate light levels and instantaneous switch on. What more could you ask for?

The 'almost 100%' is the case as a couple of crystal lamps are too bright when the smallest LED bulbs are used in them. So they have the old style incandescent bulbs, at least until an ultra low light output LED bulb is available. And I will continue to need and use four infra red bulbs. Three of these bulbs are used to protect our water tanks from the effects of frost - controlled and operated automatically with a frost stat. The fourth is doing the same type of job: protecting our water pump. This too is managed with a frost stat. In practice they are 'on' for only short periods of time as a result of the stats but they do protect the tanks and the pump.

LED lighting is here to stay as it is of good quality light and low power usage. It is the classic win win situation for the home owner/occupier and the electricity generation companies.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I've got an Ikea uplighter in my living room which I gave up using because the bulb cost about £15 a time and never lasted longer than 6 months.

I must find out in there's a suitable LED bulb available for it.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Found one of those bulbs in my cellar, wired direct to the mains. Will leave it there and sell it as vintage in a few decades thanks 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    How long before the EU tries to ban valve electronics? Or has someone already told them that the number of people who use valve HiFi or other audio equipment including guitarists is so piddlingly small compared to the rest of the population's use of solid state electronics that it really makes bugger all difference to the national grid?
    Bugger all, I think - certainly compared to lighting, or even vacuum cleaners which are also now restricted by power. The average valve guitar amp is probably using less power than a single incandescent light bulb at home volume anyway.

I also expect the usage is falling over time, rather than rising as lighting use is - so probably not worth bothering about.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    Philly_Q said:

I've got an Ikea uplighter in my living room which I gave up using because the bulb cost about £15 a time and never lasted longer than 6 months.

I must find out in there's a suitable LED bulb available for it.

I got one of these for my parent's uplighter.  Might be a different fitting to yours.  It needed to be a dimmable bulb.  The new LED is much thicker than the halogen bulb it replaced so I had to remove the reflector from the light fitting in order for it to fit.  Light quality is adequate and it hasn't blown yet.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    What are some good LED bulbs to buy? I don't even know what I've got in my house. Moved in 2 years ago and only one has blown so far.

DefaultM said:
    What are some good LED bulbs to buy? I don't even know what I've got in my house. Moved in 2 years ago and only one has blown so far.

Phillips have a pretty good reputation.  There are cheap ones on Amazon/Ebay but I've had a few of them die very quickly so the last lot I bought were Phillips.

These days places like IKEA and Screwfix sell LED bulbs pretty cheap and I think they are ok quality wise.

The other thing is to make sure you get the correct power rating.  Several years ago I bought some GU10s that were 2.5W but they weren't really bright enough.  For GU10s you generally want somewhere around 5W to replace a conventional bulb with something of similar brightness.  For more traditional bulb types they normally have some kind of incandescent equivalent figure on them.