Small valve head considerations

What's Hot
VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
As mentioned on another thread, I have a H&K TM110 speaker that I've never used.  Was bought with the intention of getting a small lunchbox type valve head to go with it but never got round to it.  Not saying that I'll get round to it now, but what would be worth considering to go with it?

I've been looking at things like the Hayden Lil MoFO, H&K Tubemeister, Orange Micro Terror...
They are all in a similar price band used (give or take).  I'm sure there were some others I looked at too but can't remember off-hand.

Any thoughts??  Any to avoid? 

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I quite liked my Night Train.. not a popular choice but it did it’s job well...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Vinylfan said:

Any to avoid?
    Mofo, Micro Terror. One of the worst, and the absolute worst, sounding amps I've ever played respectively. I almost can't describe how awful the Micro Terror sounds.

The Vox Night Train is pretty nice though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Thanks chaps.  Now I think about it, the Night Train was on the list too. As was the Blackstar 1watt head.

Don't want anything that is too expensive or needs to get too loud.  Is the speaker I have likely to limit any choices? Think it has a Celestion speaker in it and is rated at 30 watts and 8 ohms.
    Vinylfan said:
    Thanks chaps.  Now I think about it, the Night Train was on the list too. As was the Blackstar 1watt head.

Don't want anything that is too expensive or needs to get too loud.  Is the speaker I have likely to limit any choices? Think it has a Celestion speaker in it and is rated at 30 watts and 8 ohms.
    Should be fine with any you are considering 

Do you have an enclosure/cab for the speaker or are you building your own?
    Vinylfan said:

Should be fine with any you are considering 

Do you have an enclosure/cab for the speaker or are you building your own?
    Oh  no - I wouldn't trust myself to build it at the moment (I know there's not much to it) - its actually a speaker cabinet already made. Actually, thinking about, a speaker cabinet I probably could knock up to a reasonable standard.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    I’ve got a month old Laney L5t head with dust cover, footswitch, original packaging etc that I might be selling... PM me if it’s of any interest  :)
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Blackstar HT1 is pretty good. I don't like any of the others but that one sounds quite good to me. 
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    Matamp Minimat?
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    The lil night train is a good sounding amp. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Egnator Tweaker? Sounds great, versatile, small...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Egnator Tweaker? Sounds great, versatile, small...
    I tried one of those recently and I was disappointed by how dramatic the tone change when the master volume got above halfway is - it sounds OK with it below, but once you've heard it above the 'step' where it suddenly gets a lot fuller and deeper sounding, it spoils the quiet sound for you somewhat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tone1 said:
    I’ve got a month old Laney L5t head with dust cover, footswitch, original packaging etc that I might be selling... PM me if it’s of any interest  :)
    Thanks but I think that'll be out of my budget.

DrJazzTap said:
    Seems like there's some love for the Lil Night Train here.  They're discontinued aren't they?

Whatever it is can't be expensive as its just something I want to try out.  
    Vinylfan said:
    tone1 said:
    Thanks but I think that'll be out of my budget.

DrJazzTap said:
    Seems like there's some love for the Lil Night Train here.  They're discontinued aren't they?

Whatever it is can't be expensive as its just something I want to try out.  
    The original night train is discontinued and well worth seeking out on eBay - they are good, and usually sell for not much money
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Brunetti Pleximan
    #thebatesmotelband
    @Bridgehouse - is that the Night Train or the Lil version or both?!

BGG said:
    Brunetti Pleximan
    Haven't come across that so will have a little look.
    Vinylfan said:
    @Bridgehouse - is that the Night Train or the Lil version or both?!

BGG said:
    Brunetti Pleximan
    Haven't come across that so will have a little look.
    I had the Night Train, but I’ve played through a Lil Night Train. Both good for the money. Sort of modern Vox with good, usable sounds. It was pretty well built as well. 

So either or ;)
  • BadnotesBadnotes Frets: 48
    ICBM said:
    Vinylfan said:

Any to avoid?
    Mofo, Micro Terror. One of the worst, and the absolute worst, sounding amps I've ever played respectively. I almost can't describe how awful the Micro Terror sounds.

The Vox Night Train is pretty nice though.
    As a former micro terror owner I cannot give @ICBM enough wisdom, absolutely dreadful amps. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Avoid the Micro Terror, it sounds really bad, the Dark Terror is slightly better, but I still couldn't get a better sound than a Roland Micro Cube.

I quite like the Tubemeisters and they work well at lower volumes for practice and bedroom use. Although a lot of people find the sound a bit too polite for their liking.
    @olafgarten - thanks for that.  Good to know.  My initial thinking was Tubemeister but wanted to explore what else was out there.  There's no rush so I'll keep exploring.  Good to get real world views and opinions and not just professional reviews from retailers (though they have their place).
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Laney Cub is worth putting on the list?