Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    edited June 2014
    I use the same Matrix Q12 that I gig with, but turned down a bit. That's the beauty of FRFR.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    My MFC went back Wednesday, just got my refund today. I think I'll treat myself to a Behringer FC1010 with uno mod. If anyone has a line on one, let me know!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Buy one new. They're cheap and cheerful. You won't save much second hand
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • LeemacLeemac Frets: 2

octatonic said:
    I use Dynaudio Bm6a's with a sub. Be careful with really cheap monitors.
    At what kind of price point would you say monitors first become worth consideration?

I was looking at getting a pair for ~£300 but could always hold on for another month and get something more suitable.
    PRS Fanboy
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6787
    Leemac I have the Equator D5s and they are great close up (ie sat at my music desk) due to coax design. What are you planning to use the monitors for - sat in front of, or standing in a room (like a traditional guitar amp setup?)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • LeemacLeemac Frets: 2
    They will be sat in front of me on a desk as you said, I'm likely going to go the poweramp & 2x12 route when not at home but haven't the need for it just yet.
    PRS Fanboy
    Axe FX clip:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9bir0a9yvptd9s/BackSackAndCrack.mp3

Bass and guitars going through it. EZDrummer2 for the drums. Some weird freebie Rhodes VST for the keys.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Leemac said:

octatonic said:
    I use Dynaudio Bm6a's with a sub. Be careful with really cheap monitors.
    At what kind of price point would you say monitors first become worth consideration?

I was looking at getting a pair for ~£300 but could always hold on for another month and get something more suitable.
    I'm not a good person to ask really- I'm extremely picky.

There isn't much under £500 that I'd personally be happy to use.
    Drew_fx said:
    My MFC went back Wednesday, just got my refund today. I think I'll treat myself to a Behringer FC1010 with uno mod. If anyone has a line on one, let me know!
    Y U NO LIKE MFC?
    octatonic said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Y U NO LIKE MFC?
    MACCLESFELD FRIED CHICAN NOOO!!!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Drew_fx said:
    Axe FX clip:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9bir0a9yvptd9s/BackSackAndCrack.mp3

Bass and guitars going through it. EZDrummer2 for the drums. Some weird freebie Rhodes VST for the keys.
    great sound overall.. love the guitar tones.. smokin'
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    getting a bit annoyed with my AxeFX again.. it's sounding fin (still needs tweaked) but gaps when changing patches or scenes are starting to bug me. My new band is 80% 1 guitar and the drop when switching is noticeable now, where before with 2 guitars it wasn't.

I've tried using different Patches, and scenes within the same patch, still get a drop out with both methods. Grrrrr

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    mrkb said:
    Leemac I have the Equator D5s and they are great close up (ie sat at my music desk) due to coax design. What are you planning to use the monitors for - sat in front of, or standing in a room (like a traditional guitar amp setup?)
    I tried the D5s but sent them back.  They were OK I guess, though I felt the bass seemed "seperated" from the mids/highs.  Dont really know how to explain it.  I also had rattling/chuffing on one speaker in the bass port.  Ended up with a pair of Adam A5Xs.  Not as loud but much more coherent IMO.     
    Si_ said:
    getting a bit annoyed with my AxeFX again.. it's sounding fin (still needs tweaked) but gaps when changing patches or scenes are starting to bug me. My new band is 80% 1 guitar and the drop when switching is noticeable now, where before with 2 guitars it wasn't.

I've tried using different Patches, and scenes within the same patch, still get a drop out with both methods. Grrrrr

Well I can definitely say that if this is a problem, then modelling isn't for you. I've been around the block with this exact problem and always end up back at real amps. Most DSP devices don't have the resources to load two presets at the same time (which is what you need to do for seamless transitions) and even the Axe cannot do it.

Closest I've gotten is with scenes.

Things like this is why you'll never beat a good amp and a classic pedalboard setup.

I'm sure there must be a work around.. maybe using an expression pedal or modifier and a mixer block to brin gone amp in and lower the other similar to how Clarky does it.

Si_ said:

I'm sure there must be a work around.. maybe using an expression pedal or modifier and a mixer block to brin gone amp in and lower the other similar to how Clarky does it.

Yes, that is the best approach- tbh I thought you'd already been doing this.
    No, just switching amp blocks on and off and switching between X and Y. what's the best way to do it?
    edited June 2014
    @Si_ how's about you post the sysex of your preset and I'll take a quick look

edit: if you can't post it, maybe email it to me
    Si_ said:
    No, just switching amp blocks on and off and switching between X and Y. what's the best way to do it?
    It is quite complicated and it depends on what you what to do- essentially you set up one amp to fade in and one amp to fade out- you invert on of the modifiers on one of the amps, you can also mess with gain at the same time, to different ratios.

Take Clarky off on his offer first though.
    edited June 2014
    Si_ said:
    two amps, into a cab
    you don't need a mixer
    you assign the bypass of the amps to the same modifier
    bypass=mute
    when the IA switch is OFF, amp1 is active / amp2 is muted
    when the IA switch is ON, amp1 is muted / amp2 is active
    this method is seamless 

Q: do you have a delay or reverb in series in the signal path that switches X-Y?