More neck finishing

I was following @markblagdon's thread about neck finishing as the neck on my Landau Strat has begun to feel a little dry and 'grainy' (if thats a word).

Being relic'ed the neck is not completely free of finish and has areas where the original finish remains.

Would the treatment suggested in the other thread be suitable, or might it react with the areas of remaining finish and cause a mess. 

I suppose that I could sand the whole neck back, but am a bit reluctant as a starting point.

I have some of Crimson's finishing oil. Would this work the same as gun stock oil?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6766
    gun stock oil doesn't seem to affect the areas of poly neck coating I left on mine, it dries but can then be rubbed off. What neck finish does your guitar have?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    The Fender site says Nitro on the neck.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16628
    The crimson oil should work fine on the bare wood, just buff it straight off the nitro
    Thanks Wes, just wipe, wipe off, or should I try to flatten the slight raised grain before applying?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16628
    You can use some fine wire wool or wet and dry to smooth it off if the grain feels coarse
    Thanks Wez, I have both so will give it a try. It’s silly really as I’m only looking for reassurance because it is a guitar I really don’t want to screw up!