Mesa Recto Cabs - Horizontal or Compact?

rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
Ok Recto cab users. I’m looking at getting a Recto 212 to go with my Lonestar and possibly a Mark V. The vertical doesn’t really appeal to me so looking at the horizontal or the compact. Anyone compared them/ have them/ have any opinions? 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaysmithjaysmith Frets: 27
    I have the horizontal cab. It's fantastic. Sounds a lot like a 4x12... Really huge sounding cab.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited May 2018
    Yeah actually we have both. Our singer has the compact sized 2x12 and I’ve got a pair of the Recto ones.

IMO get the Recto unless you’d find it heavy. It’s bigger sounding by a larger margin than you’d expect from looking at the size difference.

The small one is a bit boxy, but still sounds good. The Recto sounds closer to a 4x12 but obviously not the same - by comparison it’s tighter and more aggressive, compared to the compact it’s got more lows and highs and sounds more open.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    jaysmith said:
    I have the horizontal cab. It's fantastic. Sounds a lot like a 4x12... Really huge sounding cab.
    Second that. My fave cab. I setup mine vertically with a kemper toaster on top and it sounds just as good as horizontally.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    KrisGee said:
    jaysmith said:
    Second that. My fave cab. I setup mine vertically with a kemper toaster on top and it sounds just as good as horizontally.
    Is that to hear it better?

Thats the only downside, it’s not very tall. It was a good excuse for me to buy a second one!
    KrisGee said:
    jaysmith said:
    Is that to hear it better?

Thats the only downside, it’s not very tall. It was a good excuse for me to buy a second one!
    It gives me a better acces to kemper's controls that way. I'm quite tall and going through kemper menus mid gig when it's that low is a bit of a pain for me.
  • @KrisGee ive been contemplating a mini recto cab for my Kemper, how do you like it with a traditional cab?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    I use it on stage + main outs to FOH. I'm in a grunge & metal covers band and it fits perfectly what I do. Probably not the best cab for more classic stuff, but for rock and anything above it's ace. 
  • @KrisGee ;Thanks man, sounds like a winner!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922