Noisy Board - Problematic Korg Pitchblack

What's Hot
deloreandelorean Frets: 224

Just thought I’d share this in case it helps anyone out.

For the past few months I’ve had some excessive noise (hiss) coming from my rig on my dirty channels. 

Checked all my pedals and cables, but couldn’t pinpoint it at all, it was very odd… however it didn’t occur when I was just plugged directly into the amp - regardless of which cable I used.

I’m very impatient, and in the end I gave up and just tolerated the noise as it wasn’t audible once I started playing.

But last night the source of the problem finally came to light.

The Korg Pitchblack has a DC jack output to allow you to daisychain power to another pedal from it.  So I was powering the Pitchblack from my VoodooLab PP2+, and then powering my Flashback Delay from the Pitchblack’s DC out.

Stopping this silly practice and powering the Flashback from its own output on the PP2+ immediately solved the issue!

So I guess either the Pitchblack is giving out dirty power, or perhaps not enough consistent juice to whatever is being powered off it.  

It may be just mine, or it may be an inherent problem with the Pitchblack, I'm not certain - but hopefully this might help someone else out!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited May 2018
    It might be cos of the Korg tuner powering the other pedals there’s a ground loop somewhere causing the noise. It helps to get a decent dedicated power supply which has idolafed outputs. I use the T. rex fuel tank junior and it’s great.

Then again it could just be then Pitchblack being dodgy.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Daisy chaining and digital effects (flashback in your case) frequently causes problems. You may be able to daisy chain a simple analog distortion/overdrive with low current draw to the pitchblack with no issues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    edited May 2018
    It might be cos of the Korg tuner powering the other pedals there’s a ground loop somewhere causing the noise. It helps to get a decent dedicated power supply which has idolafed outputs. I use the T. rex fuel tank junior and it’s great.

Then again it could just be then Pitchblack being dodgy.

Yup - the VoodooLab PP2+ that I use is a great PSU with isolated outputs. 

As soon as I stopped daisychaining the power from the Korg, my rig was completely silent (well, as much as one would expect)
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    If there's one thing I wouldn't scrimp on when building a pedalboard its the power supply. Buy the best you can afford, otherwise it doesn't matter how good the pedals are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Not to hijack, but my Korg Pitchblack Poly makes strange beeping noises when engaged - even on isolated outputs and won't work from a single power supply unless it's on a daisy chain cable.
    Strange beastie indeed.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I use the DC output from my Pitchblack to power my Ed the Compressor without any issues. Check what power the Flashback needs, maybe the Pitchblack can't supply enough.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Tuner Noise Related ...
    I'm using a MXR Iso Brick (All Isolated Outputs). As soon as I put any tuner (e.g. tried a TC Polytune, ST-200 swapped in/out), I get an audible hum. There's no hum just using the tuner (any tuner), on its own but as soon as I add a pedal ... Buzz Lightyear appears!!! Swapped out and tried various quality patch cables too ... Argh!!!!!
  • To add further to my last ...
    No noise with effects pedals on their own i.e. NO tuner connected. Also getting a 'timing' beat when I add the tuner, accentuated with effects like phasor & delay in the chain.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3584
    My limited experience of digital pedals suggests you have to be particular about the isolated power source. Old skool analogue pedals are far less fussy and don't need a safe room when they are having a down day.