NGD - Epiphone G-400 Custom

What's Hot
tachycardia23tachycardia23 Frets: 32
edited May 2018 in Guitar
Picked up this stunner off gumtree. It needed a good clean and wee bit of attention to the electrics to get it playing. I would quite like to do an overhaul of the electrics and stick some better pickups in there. Any suggestions for things to consider? If anyone has any pickups or pots etc for sale then I'd be happy to hear from you. I also need a pickguard as the original is long gone. I was thinking 3 ply with black,gold,black!

What a beastly looking thing it is...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    Only ever seen those in Aged White. (i.e. Cream.) Is the black finish a respray? If so, might it be hiding something? 

Customs usually get metal tuner buttons rather than the snotty grey-green plastic keystone Klusons found on Standards. Neck dive, be damned!

If you wish to be highly retentive, on early guitars of that shape, if the trapezoid plastic plate between the fingerboard and the pickup has Les Paul Custom written on it, the truss rod cover should be plain. 

Plenty of interesting possibilities if you overhaul the pickups and controls harness. I like the Frampton circuit in which the upper two pots allow the centre pickup to be blended with the other two ... or used on its own.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooh, thanks for the reply.

The guy I got it from swears it's original. I can only find a few pictures that match this one precisely. I took the pickups out when I got it and they were Epiphone branded, seemed legit. Do you think it might be a fake?

I know these aren't the objects of desire like their American counterparts but I can't afford those! This way I can throw them around and do experiments with pickups etc without worrying too much. I didn't pay too much for this one anyways.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    Not fake. I simply can not recall that model being offered in black. (This could be a senior moment on my part.) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OK, after a bit more googling it would seems it's a 2001 or 2002 model
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
    I used to have a 2004 Korean Epi SG, was a nice guitar, I just don't really like SGs!

Very well made though, I reckon as you say put nicer pickups in it and would happily compete with much pricier gear.

Happy NGD :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...