Pedaltrain classic + tour case - my 1st impressions

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
Took delivery of this today thinking it was about time I looked the part compared to my homemade board which is a piece of wood I shaped up to fit into a lightweight black cross case but it has some short comings - the power pack is on the board taking up space,  the wood adds weight, it's level not angled, it's tricky to hide the cables neatly.   A couple of things struck me about the pedal train:

Christ the tour case is heavy and  once my board is loaded up it will be around 10kgs or so to lug around. 

It's a big chunky case not like my slimline homemade job. 

The board is not fixed in the case and moves around so I'm hoping when I have pedals on it the foam from the lid presses on it to keep it in place but doesn't change all my knob settings. 

I'm going to have to lift the board out of the case each time, I'm wondering how easy that's going to be in practice.  My homemade job was mounted to the thinner bottom of a case so I just needed to remove the lid and plug in.  

I'm starting to wonder whether I should just return it and made do with my homemade board. 

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with using a Pedaltrain board and case. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    I have the same more or less - Board is fine, case is too big and unwieldy for day to day use and door frames, car interior and shins thanked me for getting a Mono m80 case for it. 

If if you aren’t doing stacks of gigs with roadies and vans personally I’d return it and get one of the boards that come with a soft case.
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    Certainly at the moment, I don't think I'd use anything else.

The tourcases are heavy, but that simply comes with touring grade build quality. All flight cases are heavy. Even even foam filled ABS ones, once you've added metal handles edges corners and wheels etc, they still weight a fair old chunk. There's very little that can be done to get round it.

The boards themselves are incredibly light and well thought out.

It could be argued that the Warwick Rockboards are more intuitive or the cheaper Donner ones are better value etc...people love to argue.

I'm very comfortable with my Pedaltrain Terra 42 but then again, I never have to lift it.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I love the softcase with my Metro 16, makes it much easier to carry around. Hate the size of the Metro though, I would have been better off with a Nano+. Personally I don't think I'll get a PT again due to the cost. The Palmer Pedalbay boards look good and the case has a separate pocket for your cables etc rather than stuffing it all in the main compartment.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    edited May 2018
    you could look at something like the diago gigman.     Very solid case but not the size of a small house.  I have used the showman (next size  up from gigman)  for circa 10 years and its kept my pedals secure in the van. 

Those pedalboard flight cases are neccesary for people who are having their gear transported around by random people.    Sure if you're going on international tours and have an army of roadies etc then you need one but otherwise they really are overkill.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Some good advice there.   I'm going to send this back and do some more research before taking the plunge again.  
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I used to have a hard case for my pedal train I had. Way to heavy and decided to sell them separately. I ain't getting any younger and I was starting to get complaints from the Mrs about the paint being chipped off around the door frames etc ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     For this using soft cases,  does this case adjust your pedal knobs whilst in transit? 
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    Can do but it depends on the pedal. There are ways round it like taking photos of your pedals to log the settings, or tape the controls to lock them down. Some pedals like Digitech use stomplock guards to protect them. There's plenty of ways to solve the problem.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Mine does knock them a bit but that's cause I stuff all my cables in the case as well.
    Honestly I think my current homemade rig sounds better than this pedaltrain malarkey.   Lol.   But I still might buy one though.