In Conversation with Johnny Marr

What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

God that Jag colour....

It sounds perfect!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I thought it sounded quite percussive and bathed in naff sounding BOSS effects personally

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    I enjoyed that. Ta for posting. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2018
    Im a big fan of his playing, especially the stuff with The The & Ferry, always have been. But as I've never been in a covers band. I've just spent too many sound checks watching lazy and inept "Indie" guitarist avoid any sort of melody or adventurism. I just wish some of his disciples would take on board the idea of melody, rather than reject everything.

Also he seems to hold this title of being the only interesting guitarist from the 80's who avoided cliche's. I'm not sure why John McGeogh, Lu Edmonds, Andy Gil, Jamie West-Oram etc have been written out of history by the Observer Music Monthly/Q magazine reading masses. When I first heard Dashboard by Modest Mouse I thought it was Jamie West-Oram of the Fixx playing. But yeah some good stuff otherwise.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Another chapter in the continuing series of 'Johnny Marr struggles to play Johnny Marr'.

He's not alone to be fair.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    He mentioned in a recent interview, that his manager also manages Nick Cave and PJ Harvey so should probably start investing in black hair dye....I'm glad he acknowledged that. 
    If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited May 2018
    the overriding endorsement to my already thinking that I took away from this is - don't bother with a guitar strap when sitting down!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Fuck sake Johnny we get it. You know both 'A' and 'A with bits on top'. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Watched it all, interesting, but fuck me that guitar strap palavar is very off-putting :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    I thought it sounded quite percussive and bathed in naff sounding BOSS effects personally

Lol. Hater !!! ;)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    not much BOSS evident here...

http://i68.tinypic.com/29wjzuf.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Lol. Hater !!! ;)
    Never. I have endless respect for him as a player and I think he is truly unique.
    I just happen to think on that particular video his guitar sounded a bit shit
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.