Nut & bridge for an Epi Dot?

The time has come to tackle another job that needs to be done - replace the plastic nut on my Epi Dot - it has a Bigsby fitted so tuning stability is a must. 

The question is what size do I need and what material (bone, roller, etc)?

While I’m at it, the bridge. New saddles (nylon, graphtec, etc) or a roller bridge? Again, what size 4mm or 6mm?

Any advice, much appreciated :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Bone nuts are good, Tusq I found slightly better for ease of tuning stability at the expense of a deader tone on the open strings. To make the most of it the nut slots should be hand-fettled so they flare out to reduce drag.
    Dots were made at different places for years so best measure up width and E-e spacing to be sure of the size.

I put one of the Wilkinson pattern roller bridges on mine (the meaty one not a TOM-a-like) when I put a Les Trem on it. I've used a few of these on other guitars. It was actually a Stewmac version in sold brass but same difference, they're like £12-14 cheap, work well, and have a good amount of metal in them so sound fine - I had a very light weight Schaller that was a right tone sucker, so that came off PDQ.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    My brother has a late Eighties Epiphone-By-Gibson Sheraton II. When the original black plastic nut broke, the only replacement I had immediately to hand in the correct general dimensions was solid brass. Worked nicely. Unamplified, the guitar has plenty of mechanical sustain. 

I cannot vouch for whether - if at all - brass affects tuning stability because the sloppy stock Jin-Ho machineheads are still on the guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 462
    Well, I’ve ordered a Wilkinson roller bridge & I think I’ll have a graphite nut put on when it goes for a fret dress next week..