A Very Boring Thread About Velcro

What's Hot
ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 60
edited May 2018 in FX
Hi all, 

Longtime lurker and lifelong gear fiend. 

I know this is an incredibly dull, trainspotter, thing to ask: but I'm keen to hear your views on velcro and its alternatives.

I'm upgrading to a [brand new!] Metro 24* this week I figure this is a good opportunity to start anew from what I've been doing all my life... which is literally just using whatever naff velcro the guy before me applied to my second hand Pedaltrain(s).

I've been reading a bit about Dual Lock and heavy duty(?) velcro as popular alternatives. I also love the cleaner look of leaving the bare Pedaltrain metal showing in between pedals. I'm not sure how folks do this (I guess by applying the loop conservatively?) but I'm keen to avoid  the metric ***tonne of cat hairs that seems to get caught up in there. I also rarely move pedals around and am moving up from a PT Mini literally just to squeeze a reverb unit it. So cleanliness and stability is more appealing than flexiblity.

So, in short, what are you currently using on your board? Velcro? Dual Lock? Those weird 3M picture frame things? Let me know what you recommend/avoid. I'm UK based so naturally the US forums haven't been all too insightful... so please fire away with your thoughts.

Cheers!

*n.b I dig the proportions and just needed a bit more space... please don't try and flog me your smelly PT JR like everyone on the planet seems to do when I mention this.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    I get mine from the local Wool shop, I kid you not :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    Dual lock if you don't move things often. (it pulls up more hook from the board than regular velcro) You only need small bits too, you can hold a boss pedal with a square in each corner. 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    edited May 2018
    The one downside to dual luck is that the hooks joining the velcro are stronger than the glue holding the velcro to the pedal. That means removing pedals often leads to the velcro still stuck together on your board.and none on the pedal. When you reattach out to the pedal or comes off easily. 

If you are going to be moving pedals around then use normal velcro or buy loads extra. If it's a pedalboard where things are likely to be permanent (is there ever such a thing?) then go for the heavy duty stuff.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Velcro for me.
    I have too pedals I bought used that came with a big chunck of Dual lock! They're a pain to take off the board!
    I had a Supatrem where the previous owner just put little retangles of dual lock in the rubber feet and that heavy thing old on to the board amazingly so, if you really want to use Dual lock, four little pieces in each corner are enough.
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 60
    edited May 2018

Ooh these are the same, no? Very tempted given the price. Dual Lock does feel a little overkill. Thanks for the tip off!

Does anyone have any experiece applying the loop directly under pedals (as opposed to the entire length of the PT bar)? I'm quite to keen to keep as much metal band are as possible because a lot of crap gets caught up in there!

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    Heavy duty Velcro for me - the wide stuff that covers a pedestrian rail.  I've even used it to mount an AX8 on a pedalboard and you can turn the board upside down and it stays put. Easy enough to move pedals around too.
    I went with strips right across every rail as it's easier to re-jig a board that way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Anyone use a combo of Velcro on the board  and Dual Lok on pedals like Dan from GigRig? I have a new board with the loop side permanently attached, but the dual lok didn't seem to take very well to it so may have to go Velcro only. Dual Lok is great but it's a pig to separate that's for sure.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Dual lock is great stuff. But you need to be committed. If your like everybody else though and change your mind a lot it's a bit of a swine. 
    It can strip paint off of pedals though, I managed to rip paint off a carbon copy. I'm half tempted to go back to a large sheet of Velcro.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I find dual lock infuriating - welding the pedal to the board would be less permanent. Buy Velcro brand 50mm, or if heavy duty 50mm if you want extra strength - but the normal stuff does the job. Just don’t cheap out on unknown brands.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Beexter said: no
    Heavy duty Velcro for me - the wide stuff that covers a pedestrian rail.  I've even used it to mount an AX8 on a pedalboard and you can turn the board upside down and it stays put. Easy enough to move pedals around too.
    I went with strips right across every rail as it's easier to re-jig a board that way.
    Heavy duty Velcro for me too. It's perfectly strong enough, bit you can get the pedals off easily. The dual lock stuff I used to have required a lever to crowbar the pedals off the board! Irritating 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    The regular velcro doesn't quite do it.  Almost but not quite.  So...
    Heavy duty Velcro. 
    It's more than adequate with knobs on without being totally feckin' mental like Dual lock.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I like the clean look too. 
    I have a wooden pedalboard so I like to see the wood between each pedal and no velco. 

I use Velcro heavy duty, which is great and sticks to every pedal I have, even Boss compacts which some other brands struggle with. 
    The only thing nothing on Earth sticks to are my Boss fs-5l footswitches.. that rubber just doesnt know cohesion. 

I use 50mm and cut a bit for the top and a bit for the bottom of the pedal making sure the velcro is the full width of the pedal. I then cut a strip for the pedalboard. Or two if you’re using 2 rails on a pedaltrain. Again making sure its as wide as the pedal. 

The reason I emphasise the part about making both hook and loop as wide as the pedal is because I stupidly didnt. I stuck a pedal on a bit of looped strip that was narrower than it, and the bastard thing rocked all the time when stomping on it. Sounds obvious right?! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Not sure what the issue is with decent velcro. I use it and carry my pedalboard upside down without any concerns.

No need to reinvent the wheel, is there?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    I like Dual Lock - just don't use too much is all.. cut it lengthways if needs be. Prefer it to Velcro, less crap sticks to it, pedals seem to rock less, the big boxes are secure and power supplies live underneath with it.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Heavy duty Velcro from Screwfix.

Can probably get it a bit cheaper elsewhere, but convenient if you have one nearby.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........