65 Amps - Stone Pony - Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with them ???

maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
Potentially been offered one in a trade for my SRV & dont know anything about them :-)
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    edited May 2018
    I bought the one @Twinfan had for sale on here, however short of trying it out briefly my current situation means I've not played it. Hopefully Dave can chime in with his experience as he gigged it for a long time, maybe drop him a PM as he is a cracking fella.

It's a single channel amp with the bump front end which is footswitchable. So you have kind of 2 channels or a lead boost. It has a unique power tube in the 7591 which according to 65 gives it a different mid range from a Marshall or Fender style. This is great in 2 guitar bands apparently, but have no experience of it as yet. Most of the old demos on YT show it as a very chimey amp with a lovely crunch tone, best for players who ride the volume to get different tones. Peter Stroud showed some great playing on some of them, setting the amp in the crunch zone with the guitar volume on 10 and then backing off for your clean sounds. Then using the bump for solos or boost. 

To my ears it's kind of Voxy at the clean end with a lovely Black Crowes/Faces/Stones style crunch. Dan Boul and Peter Stroud were trying for a while to utilise the 7591s like the 70s Ampegs the Stones used but it's not a one trick Pony so to speak. (I'll caveat that with again, limited playing time on a personal level!). The 2 lunch with Dan Boul shows on YT with the Stone Pony are a good starting point to listen to, but they are long videos!!

Lastly, it is fantastically well made inside and out with premium parts, so longevity and servicing should be no issue hopefully. I'm literally chewing my hands off to get home and use it! Also it has, or should have the 65amps Master Voltage on it meaning you can crank it and curtail some of the volume, it's only 25watts (there are some high power ones out there too) but it's fricking loud!!

Is it a combo btw? There's been one floating on eBay for ages so was wondering if it's that one?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

This is the video that sold it to me the most dude, it's long though but he clicks through a lot of ground!

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    Many thanks @Boromedic ; . . . Nice to hear from you ( are you back now ??? ) Yes its the one on Gumtree and its a 2x12 combo . . We've emailed a few times now and he seems keen on the trade for my SRV :-)  . . . I thought the SRV would have been a keeper but I rarely play it now and my 62 AVRI has become my goto guitar . . . The 65 Amps gear look amazing and from the soundbites & video's Ive checked out Im pretty impressed but I was hoping to trade for a guitar rather than an amp. Ive still got my 68 Vox AC30 so I don't "really" need another amp but the offers Ive had so far for the SRV are not really what Im after. 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

No worries dude, no not back yet although not too long now. Got a nice stash of gear to get playing once I am back!!

As you already have a beautiful amp there I'm not sure the 65 is going to be worth it for you. However it is a different flavour and I really liked the EF86 front end, subtly different tone compared to the 12AX7. Might be worth a trip and a demo perhaps and see what you think? I've still got to A/B the 65 with my Genz Benz Black Pearl which is based on the AC30 and decide which to keep as I can't keep both. I think the 65 will be the keeper but I really love the Red Fangs in the GB. Great amp and great speakers. Sorting gear is always difficult!