Recommend some monitors under 1k

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
edited May 2018 in Studio & Recording
****UPDATED****

give me some recommendations 

Does anyone have any experience with the HS8 monitors?
Im looking to make a move towards a new set of monitors from my current M-Audio BX5s. 
To be fair to the M-Audios I think they are really good considering how much they cost but I find them a little heavy in the mids. They're nice to listen to things on but I am concerned that my tracks wont transfer so well to other units/conventional hi-fi etc

Any recommendations? I'm trying to stay under £800.

I've also been looking at a set of Tannoy Reveal 802s
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Not the same, but i have the HS7's and they have proven to be fantastic. That being said they are massive and the HS8's are even bigger. Ive bought a set of genelec speakers for work. these are a lot smaller and are proving to be unbelievable. especially for their size.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256

I have had the HS5 set for a couple of years and they are superb. I know the 7s are brilliant, so would expect the 8s to be crackers too. As Thorpy says though, big chuffers!

What I like about the 5s is the crisp clear sound, very precise and ideal for a smaller room IMO. They don't get flustered at volume either. I also use them to listen to hi res audio too, much prefer it to my hifi tbh, certainly for that audio format. YOu don't miss a trick

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a pair of HS7's .. the HS8's were just too big and loud. Excellent monitors though. I tried quite a few before settling on mine.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    You should consider the Focal cms65 or alpha 65
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I thought the Focal CMS 65's were discontinued ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    I thought the Focal CMS 65's were discontinued ..
    I believe so.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Looking at the Yamaha monitors they seem to have quite a pronounced mid hump. I think I will look else where
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I have a set of Dynaudio BM6a’s for sale which are an order of magnitude better than the Yamaha’s.
    They are a grand though.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I have the focal alpha 65s and think they are great. Is there any way you can audition speakers in your own studio? I think that would help your decision making.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    At least 8” drivers give you a bit of thump without having to go the subwoofer route. I bought a s/h set of APS Aeons, amazing monitors with clarity and weight so don’t necessarily discount the s/h market
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    Focal Alpha 65 or 50. 

I've had the same set of monitors for a decade (some old passive Silver 5Ls). I love them to bits as they're a good compromise bwteen accurate enough for monitoring and good on the ear. A couple of months ago I had an incident involving a small child and a football. One monitor went down, had to go away for repair. Out of curiosity I picked up some Alpha 50's using an Ebay offer. I returned them after three days as they were just too much for this tiny bedroom. 

So you might ask why I'm recommending them. Simple: because they sound absolutely fucking amazing. Detailed, mine didn't fatigue the ears despite not being broken in. All my usual reference albums sounded fabulous on them. I've demo'd a fair few monitors over the last few years and these in terms of sound quality and price would be my pick. 

What you go for depends on your room. A pair of Alpha 50's are £428.00 from Juno leaving you plenty of change. £550 for the 65. 

Seeing as you've added a price: 
    Used set of Neumann KH120, they are fantastic. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    Buy a set of second hand NS10s. There’s a reason they’re in every studio. 
    in the 80s for electronica. 

they have a bad mid hump mate. I don't really want them
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145

You’re a mid hump 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

You’re a mid hump 
    You've got the hump :-P
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Never got the fuss about NS10’s; nasty fizzy things, ideal if you really want to see what your mix sounds like through a broken hifi !,  indeed, speakers such as the old Aurotones were used to simulate Car Stereos if you have space and a speaker switcher ;)
    sweepy said:
    Never got the fuss about NS10’s; nasty fizzy things, ideal if you really want to see what your mix sounds like through a broken hifi !,  indeed, speakers such as the old Aurotones were used to simulate Car Stereos if you have space and a speaker switcher ;)
    I'm told that a lot of shit mixing from yester-year is down to those Yamaha NS10s
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I've had NS10's and they made sense at the time.
    They were not that expensive and if you could get a decent mix done on them then they would usually translate well.

I saw them more in studios doing rock music, thanks to Bob Clearmountain popularising them, than I did dance.

Also, when you blew a driver they were fairly easy to replace.
    They aren't now, which is why a lot fo people ditched them.
    The ones that I know kept them tend not to use them very often- there is a lot more bass in music now.